Powering Mission-Critical Applications with the New FAS6200

By Jon Jacob, Product Marketing Manager, Storage Systems, NetApp

No matter what business you’re in, your mission-critical applications share a common requirement. They need a highly available, agile storage architecture that can easily scale performance and capacity as your business demands grow and change.

NetApp is excited to announce three new FAS6200 models—and corresponding V-Series models for connecting with third-party storage arrays. These systems are designed to meet escalating data needs for a wide range of critical businesses including service providers, finance companies, and healthcare. Optimized for flash and clustering, the 6200 series delivers the performance, availability, and scale necessary to support the mission-critical, tier 1 applications you depend on to drive your success. You can quickly and cost-effectively react to changing business requirements with the proven agility and storage efficiency that the 6200 delivers.

The three new models, FAS/V6220, FAS/V6250, and FAS/V6290, drive higher performance and value, with 50% to 100% more memory and greater I/O connectivity in the base configuration.

The 6200 series delivers:

• Proven performance with consistently quick response times for both SAN and NAS workloads, as demonstrated by strong results on industry-standard benchmarks.
  • The broadest Flash portfolio (Flash Cache, Flash Pool, and Flash Accel), so you can choose the best technology to accelerate your workloads.
  • Industry-leading scale to over 65PB of storage, enabling you to grow almost without limits.

Because data availability is increasingly essential for business success, these 6200 systems use clustered Data ONTAP to provide a new level of nondisruptive operations. Updates and routine maintenance can be done without ever interrupting critical applications or busy users. Your IT team is no longer forced to schedule service during off hours. You can incorporate new FAS6200 systems, and new V-Series models in front of third-party arrays, into the cluster without disruption. Plus you can mix FAS/V generations, families, and models in the same cluster, so you can create a storage environment that grows with your business and never requires disruptive upgrades.

The result is an enterprise storage solution that allows you to maintain focus on your business without worrying about IT infrastructure limitations and system management difficulties. The NetApp FAS/V platform, combined with Data ONTAP, enables you to design a storage infrastructure that delivers impact faster, achieves nondisruptive operations, and scales (nearly) without limits.

To learn more, watch this 5-minute video on that includes comments by Darryl Meidinger of Univita Health, a satisfied FAS6200 customer. And watch the updated FAS6200 video on the family homepage that explains the details I’ve touched on here and more.

on ‎2013-02-26 05:45 PM

Since you guys haven't replied the first time, I'll ask again.

Isn't the FAS6220 just the FAS6240 in a single chassis configuration -- without the PCIe expansion and the same limits as the 6210s? What is the performance difference between the 6220, 6210 and 6240 and the 6240 and 6250? Also the 6290 seems to be the same box as the 6280? I am curious to see if this just a marketing exercise with better price/performance or should we look at qualifying this.

Thank yo.

NetApp Employee on ‎2013-02-27 09:09 PM

Thanks for your questions - sorry for the lag in replying. I've answered your original questions you posted at our blog entry about the FAS6200 video. Here's what I replied:

Let’s start with the new positioning across the FAS6200 family:

• FAS6290 replaces the FAS6280
  • FAS6250 replaces the FAS6240
  • FAS6220 replaces the FAS6210

The FAS6210/20 isn’t a single chassis HA config of the FAS6240/50. The 6240/50 have a number of key differences:

• more performance from higher level processors and more memory
  • extra performance acceleration from higher amounts of Flash Cache & Flash Pool that can be configured with the system
  • greater expandability with more I/O slots (the PCIe expansion module that you pointed out)
  • more scalability in number of PB of storage that can be attached

Performance differences between models can really vary based on the workload you’re running. The additional memory in the 6220 and 6250 models will give more performance for memory intensive applications. I recommend you talk with your NetApp partner or sales representative to look into the performance gains for your specific environment.

The 6280 is designed with a strong combination of processor and memory to deliver industry leading performance for this class of platforms. What we noticed is that customers are adding I/O for backend connectivity because the FAS6280 is able to deliver the IOPS needed for enterprise workloads without sacrificing capacity. So we included additional I/O connectivity in the base config for the 6290. This is especially valuable for the larger customer configs and clusters that we’re seeing with our high-end models.

The 6200 family with Data ONTAP operating system is optimized for Flash and clustering, and over the past few quarters we’ve rolled out significant updates to ONTAP and our Flash portfolio. Clustered ONTAP delivers nondisruptive operations, with no planned downtime for routine maintenance, upgrades, and system refreshes – and your IT staff can service the systems anytime instead of scheduling it for the weekend. Plus we have the broadest flash portfolio (Flash Pool and Flash Accel, to go along with Flash Cache) – you can choose the best approach for accelerating your workloads.

So there’s a lot of innovation going on in the FAS6200 platform. Check out the FAS6200 Web page and the FAS6200 data sheet for additional details and tech specs.

on ‎2013-03-02 03:46 PM

What about generic performance comparison of the old and new models for generic workloads? BTW I am asking specifically about the performance comparisons for the 6220 and 6250 (in my original post)?

> What is the performance difference between the {6220, 6210 and 6240} and the {6240 and 6250}?

NetApp Employee on ‎2013-03-04 11:30 PM

For a generic workload comparison, an average performance difference between the FAS6220 and FAS6250 is about 25%. Please contact your local NetApp representative to work with you on other performance questions related to your environment and the FAS models that match up well with it. It’s important to look at performance in the context of your specific workloads today and your future requirements across both SAN & NAS.

on ‎2013-03-06 12:51 AM

Ambrose -- see last comment on the page