Running SAS® Analytics on NetApp Storage

We’re hearing a lot about big data and how advanced analytics can deliver better understanding of customers, competitive differentiation, and new revenue opportunities just to name a few.  SAS, a leader in business analytics software and services, has published a technical report with NetApp that shows how a SAS analytics workload can be optimized and tuned on NetApp EF550 flash-based storage array, which was chosen over other tested flash arrays.  The paper covers tuning recommendations, general guidelines for running SAS analytics on NetApp and detailed information on the test bed. Powerful analytics platforms such as SAS using the NetApp EF550 flash-based storage array can be applied to many use cases (data mining, visualization, text analytics) and across many industries including healthcare, financial services, telecommunications, retail, manufacturing, among many others.

SAS described the NetApp EF550 flash-based storage array as delivering excellent performance and scalability for SAS workloads. The report describes the NetApp EF550 flash-based storage array performance test results, and general considerations for setup and tuning to maximize SAS Application performance. The test bed chosen for the flash testing was a mixed analytics, scaled SAS workload of computation and IO oriented tests to measure job performance. The actual workload chosen was composed of 19 individual SAS tests: 10 computation, 2 memory, and 7 IO intensive tests. The testing found that using the NetApp EF550 flash-based storage array delivered significant performance for I/O intensive workloads that are typically found when reading or writing large amounts of data. The NetApp EF550 flash-based storage array was found to be extremely beneficial for many SAS workloads, and can significantly eliminate application IO latency, thereby improving the runtime of SAS jobs.

And if you’re considering Hadoop, NetApp provides reliable and scalable storage for Hadoop with solutions that validate Hadoop distributions on NetApp Storage, and on FlexPod (FlexPod is a converged compute, networking, and storage solution developed by Cisco® and NetApp). SAS’s Hadoop solutions provide data management, visualization, exploration, and analytics for Hadoop workloads.  This can be ideal for customers wanting to use SAS and Hadoop on enterprise-class, reliable and fast storage.

Download the technical report  or contact the NetApp authors, Andy Grimes (andrew.grimes@netapp.com) and Mike Phelan (mike.phelan@netapp.com), to find out how SAS Analytics tuned on NetApp flash-based storage can help with your big data opportunities.

Comments

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part  I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. You can also see more detail on http://www.cloudwedge.com Thank you and best of luck.