Sneak Peek of XenDesktop/PVS VDI Provisioning with PowerShell Scripts

As part of our preparation for the upcoming Microsoft Management Summit, I’ve put together a step by step walk-through for provisioning out VDI quickly and efficiently.  It highlights and uses Microsoft Hyper-V, System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012, Citrix PVS/XenDesktop and the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit.

Aside from the obvious time drain of setting up physical infrastructure for a VDI environment, the most tedious part is provisioning out VDI instances.  In large environments, this can take several hours, or in some cases, days to complete.  One of the reasons for this long haul is the act of copying large virtual disks to each VDI instance. With NetApp FlexClone technology, we’re able to alleviate a substantial portion of this provisioning “burden”.

In my previous blog, I gave a little insight to this and provided a PowerShell script to Sub-LUN Clone the virtual disks. The following demo expands on this and gives you a full solution to build out your VDI environments.  It assumes you already have instances of Citrix XenDesktop 5.6, Citrix PVS 6.1, Microsoft SCVMM 2012, Microsoft SQL and a Hyper-V VDI host ready to roll.

I've attached the PowerShell scripts used and here's a link to the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueKGNnPg1Ao&feature=youtu.be