StorageGRID Webscale 10.2 - An overview of what's coming

swg-diagram-850x444.jpg

During our announcements at NetApp Insight 2015 in Berlin last week, we released some details for the upcoming 10.2 version of our massively scalable Object Store StorageGRID Webscale. While we are tweaking a lot of smaller things under the hood, here are my Top 5 features that I am looking forward to:

OpenStack Swift API support

While we already support the AWS S3 and CDMI APIs today, we will introduce OpenStack Swift API support in 10.2. This gives OpenStack operators the choice between the native OpenStack Swift component or StorageGRID Webscale as an enterprise-grade storage backend alternative. For developers and application admins who use StorageGRID Webscale, this means that they will have another protocol to choose from.

NFS and CIFS access

With the upcoming release, we are introducing a NAS protocol bridge. This bridge will allow ingest and retrieval of objects via the file-based NFS and CIFS protocols. For the CIFS use case, we integrate into AD for authentication. By supporting duality for file & object access, clients will also be able retrieve those objects via the S3 protocol.

LDAP/AD Integration and improved tenancy support

Our new tenancy model for 10.2 will allow organizations within Active Directory to self-manage their S3 accounts through either a web portal or via API. S3 Bucket ACL support will allow delegation of access for specific buckets to other users.

KVM Hypervisor support

Until StorageGRID 10.1, we only supported VMware as the underlying hypervisor platform. With 10.2, we are also adding support for the open source KVM hypervisor. KVM is the most commonly used hypervisor in OpenStack deployments. Therefore, we will enable users to deploy StorageGRID on KVM via OpenStack Heat, which will reduce the deployment effort for single- or multi-site grid deployments to minutes.

Simplified Grid expansion/decommissioning

Expanding a grid, i.e., adding more nodes or sites, or on the other hand decommissioning old nodes, will be driven directly through the Admin GUI. This will make it extremely simply to start with a small installation and then gradually expand capacity by growing the number of nodes or sites.

Among those features, we are adding a lot of new supported calls to our S3 implementation. To name two examples, we are adding support for pre-signed URLs which allow users to expose S3 objects as a direct HTTP link. With this capability, the requester accessing this object does not require S3 credentials. The expiration of this link is controlled directly through the API. As another feature, we will add S3 Bucket ACLs support, which allows to delegate access to a bucket to other S3 users.

Feel free to reach out to me on Twitter: @clemenssiebler