Three Things I Learned At Amazon Re:Invent

MLBAM-CTO-EVP-Presenting-at-reInvent-2014.jpg

Last week I was privileged to be one of more than 13,000 cloud enthusiasts who gathered in Las Vegas for AWS Re:Invent. The event was packed with announcements, sessions, and parties, oh and in between maybe a customer meeting or two. As a brand new member of the NetApp team (recently coming over from Riverbed in the SteelStore acquisition), I thought I would take a moment to share what I learned at this event:

1. Massive Data Sets in the Cloud are now Commonplace

One theme that appeared over and over again in keynotes and sessions was the massive volumes of data companies are now storing in the cloud. Whether it was Phillips saying that they add 1PB of data per month or MLB explaining how they generate 17PB of raw data produced per season with their new stat cast app. Some of this data is generated in the cloud and stays in the cloud, but for many, it’s generated on-premise and then moved to the cloud. It made me wonder, how are they on-ramping all of that data?

2. Hybrid Cloud is Here 

Of course we've seen the hybrid cloud revolution (evolution?) coming for years—the idea that enterprises would locate services and infrastructure both on-premise, and in the cloud, depending on requirements related to cost, resiliency, and security. And ideally these services could be migrated seamlessly between public, private, and hybrid clouds. Not only were living, breathing examples of this walking around the conference everywhere, but even Andy Jassy himself admitted that this is the status quo. Cloud is not an all-or-nothing decision, it’s something you incorporate into your portfolio where and when it makes sense. 

3. SteelStore is HOT 

Maybe this strikes you as self-serving, but the truth is, I was completely overwhelmed by the response to SteelStore at Re:Invent. The level of excitement about the acquisition by NetApp was extremely high. And it's not just me saying this, SteelStore was discussed in several AWS sessions and was featured in CRN's article about storage products for AWS.

Were you at AWS Re:Invent this year or following the news from afar? What were your biggest takeaways from the event?

[Image via AWS Re:Invent]