Windows 2012 Server Core, SharePoint 2013 and NetApp SMx Adventures

I have started a setup of Windows Server 2012 Server Core for my own edification, so I figured I would blog about my adventures starting from the beginning. So here is a picture of the system I am building up, nothing fancy just a Lenovo ThinkCentre.

I've got Windows Sever 2012 Server Core installed on the machine after "borrowing" a monitoring from a colleague (Thanks John!). He needs his monitor back so the first task was getting the machine setup for remote access. Here are all of the steps I performed after first logging in and being presented with the lone command window.

Switch over to Windows PowerShell:

PowerShell

Rename the server, I'm not joining my server to a domain:

Rename-Computer WIR-CORE

Restart-Computer

Enable Remote Desktop:

Set-NetFirewallProfile -Profile Domain,Public,Private -Enabled False

Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server' -Name 'fDenyTSConnections' -Value 0

Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp' -Name 'UserAuthentication' -Value 0

Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Desktop"

From my main desktop, which is running Windows Server 2012, I installed Remote Desktop and connect to WIR-CORE:

Now I'm connected and can start configuring and installing additional roles, features and software:

Stay tuned for more progress....

Barkz (aka NaSharePointGuy)