VMware Solutions Discussions

Anyone using Xen under Debian 5.0?

toddlantzy

A customer I am working with is interested in using Xen version 3.2 under Debian 5.0 with the LVM and multipathing (MPIO) tools packaged therein (versions 2.02 and 0.4.8, respectively).

Is anyone doing something similar with Xen and Debian?

Thanks,

Todd

3 REPLIES 3

forgette

Hi Todd,

I don't have any recent experience to share, however I would comment that multipath is separate from LVM.  I only mention this because the LVM layer really isn't needed in NetApp environments.  Don't get me wrong, the LVM2 stuff is very cool and useful with more traditional storage.  My point is that NetApp luns natively provide all the benefits of a logical volume manager, so the use of LVM (with NetApp controllers) is redundant.  The use of LVM wont hurt your customer in any way, but it does increase complexity.
Hope this helps,
-Eric 

rsarraf

toddlantzy wrote:

A customer I am working with is interested in using Xen version 3.2 under Debian 5.0 with the LVM and multipathing (MPIO) tools packaged therein (versions 2.02 and 0.4.8, respectively).

Is anyone doing something similar with Xen and Debian?

Thanks,

Todd

I have it running in my lab setup.

Keep in mind that the version of Xen shipped with Debian Lenny (i.e. kernel 2.6.26) is a backport of Xen from other sources (SUSE in this case). Xen is still not committed into the upstream kernel.

Feature wise, most of the stuff work pretty good in Debian. My configurations have been limited, for example for networking, only in User NAT mode.

If you interest is Linux Virtualization, I'd suggest you to also have a look at the KVM solutions.

saji

At RRE, we too have done a quick testing with Xen on Debian 5. We have only checked the basic functionality and it works.

A complete qualification is possible only via a PVR

Thanks

Saji Joseph

RRE

Public