VMware Solutions Discussions

Can VSC2.0 stay with SMVI and RCU?

chao

when I tried to install VSC2.0 in an existing vSphere+VCS1.0+RCU3.0+SMVI2.0D1P1 environment,  I was asked to uninstall VSC1.0, RCU and SMVI.  it makes sense to uninstall VSC but I don't want to uninstall RCU and SMVI especially SMVI.  this customer met a bug so we install SMVI 2.0D1P1, I am not sure if VSC2.0 fix the bug.

In fact, most customer already configure SMVI and RCU, there are very familar with the user interface, it's no reason to ask them to uninstall them and study new GUI (I knew RCU is almost same).

I knew VSC have options to select which components be installed.  but it pop-up after passing the existing software checking.  Would you please advice there is any way to make VSC2.0 stay with SMVI and RCU?   customer already configure them and are familiar with them.

I found CLI installation cmd has some options.  could we select components by CLI?

BR

TC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amritad

SMVI will now be a vCenter plug-in and will stop existing as a standalone UI. The functionality and home view UI in the VSC 2.0 is very similar to what we have been having for SMVI. IT should not be difficult for customers to use this. You could also take a look at the demos available on the field portal and you’ll see what I mean J

Regards

Amrita

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

amritad

Hi Chao,

Since it is an integrated framework the directory structure changed hence the need for an uninstall. All fixes made in SMVI 2.0 D1P1 are available in VSC2.0. For SMVI upgrade you need to do the following

After you finish

When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to

installing Virtual Storage Console 2.0, you have to save the backup metadata prior to

migrating the backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp

\SMVI\server\repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi

\server\repository folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from

the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual

Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder.

The home view for SMVI in VSC 2.0 is very similar to the standalone UI so your customer will not have to learn a new UI.

Regards

Amrita

chao

Thanks Amrita.

It's good news that VSC2.0 already include 2.0D1P1.   Does it mean NetApp plan to stop SMVI but just develop it in VSC framework?  I think at least currently VSC 2.0 had better give customer choice to keep the SMVI.

BR

TC

amritad

SMVI will now be a vCenter plug-in and will stop existing as a standalone UI. The functionality and home view UI in the VSC 2.0 is very similar to what we have been having for SMVI. IT should not be difficult for customers to use this. You could also take a look at the demos available on the field portal and you’ll see what I mean J

Regards

Amrita

chao

Thanks for your reply.  Sound customer have to face the fact. 

BTW, would you please tell me where I could find the CLI installation options explaination?

amritad

It’s documented in the IAG (available on the NOW site for download)

Regards

Amrita

Public