VMware Solutions Discussions

Clone Windows LUN, Connect in VMWare

msandona

We a windows LUN connected to a physical windows server.  We'd like to clone this volume/LUN and present the LUN to a virtual windows server.  I've cloned the LUN, split it from the parent and am trying to connect it using SnapDrive on the windows VM.

the process runs fine until the final step when it fails with the following error:

-------------------------  SnapDrive Operation Start ---------------------------------

Disk connect operation on server - XXXDEV2K3 failed for reason

Failed to create disk in virtual machine, Failed to Map virtual disk: Permission to perform this operation was denied..

--------------------- The complete operation list is shown as follows -------------------

********************* Server Name: CCMTSDEV2K3*********************

1. Checking input parameters

2. Checking access control

3. Checking policies

4. Turning on space reservation

5. Connecting to the LUN

6. Failed to create disk in virtual machine, Failed to Map virtual disk: Permission to perform this operation was denied..

------------------------------------------ Operation Done ---------------------------------------

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Matt

1 REPLY 1

radnorsan

What type of iSCSI connection are you using in the VM, RDM or MS iSCSI?  If using RDM and the ESX(i) software iSCSI initiator, you need to add whatever account is configured in the Snapdrive ESX logon settings to have the appropriate permission on the vCenter/ESX side.  Depending on whether you have a single ESX host or multiple hosts managed by vCenter.

Assuming you have a vCenter server, as a test, in the vSphere client, go to the vCenter level (the top level), then click the permissions tab.  Make sure the user account you have configured in the Snapdrive settings is listed here with the correct permissions.  If the account is not there, add it as an administrator, just for testing, to see if this is your issue.  Then you can set the correct permissions once you know it works.  I don't have the Snapdrive/vCenter security settings in front of me otherwise I'd post them here.

Public