Subscribe

Disaster recovery with Snapvault?

Hi,

We have a 3210 filer running 8.1RC3 where we use CIFS for Windows clients and NFS for VMware. We also have an older 3020 filer running 7.3.x. We have Snapvault licenses on both filers. They are in different locations connected with 10Gbit.

Im thinking of using SnapVault for a light version of Disaster Recovery. As I understand it SnapVault operates on qtrees and not on volumes. So I need to create qtree on the new flexvols and snap that. I'd like to setup a daily snapshot.

Since this will be a new deployment (new customer) I plan to do it like this:

VMware environment

- Setup a vfiler on 3210  (vmfiler) with a flexvol (vol_vm_dstore01) and a qtree (vm_dstore01).

- Setup a vfiler on the 3020 (vmfilerdr) with a flexvol (vol_vm_dstore01_dr) and qtree (vm_dstore01dr)

- In case of a problem Id like to remove the snapvault connection and schedule.

- Id like to export the vm_dstore01dr over NFS from vmfilerdr and connect it to our secondary VMware farm.

For CIFS services I would do the same

- Setup a vfiler on 3210 (fs01) with a flexvol (vol_fs01_data01) and a qtree (fs01_data01)

- Setup av vfiler on 3020 (fs01dr) with a flexvol (vol_fs01_data01_dr) and a qtree (fs01_data01).

- In case of a problem Id like to remove the snapvault connection and schedule.

- In preparation I would setup CIFS for the filer as (fs01dr).

- I would also use DFS so that when I can bring the DCs online again I can easily change the client mappings to the new vfiler on the 3020.

Is this possible?

-J

Re: Disaster recovery with Snapvault?

Yes J,

It is possible.

You may wish to run a DR test after the setup to double check.

Good luck

Henry

yes it is possible...

but you dont need to create qtree at destination site, the qtree will be created by initial run of the new snapvault job.

look at the best practices guide for snapvault, chapter 4 is a good example:

https://fieldportal.netapp.com/viewcontent.asp?qv=1&docid=39449

Cool Till,

Would you be kind enough to send the best practices guide for snapvault to me ?

Thanks in advance & looking forward to read it soon.

Henry

Would you need the target writable?  SnapVault works if you need readonly but some more steps if you want to write to it...you can snapmirror convert the vault to make it writable, but you would have to resync the vault both ways after (full sync...snapmirror is easier since it can resync only the changes since the failover)... or are you looking at using flexclone on the vault then convert on the clone?  Also for VMs you need the sv-smvi script if you want to vault the snapmanager snapshots for vmware since snapvault updates are not built in smvi/vsc.  For CIFS no issue and you can use protection manager or the command line schedule.

Also prior to 8.1, vfilers don't work as a snapvault target (but vfiler0 does for volumes in the vfiler).  I don't know if PM supports a vfiler as of 8.1 though so might still need to authenticate to vfiler0 for the vault.

Hi Scott,

I dont have licenses for SnapMirror, SnapManager or FlexClone. The idea is to make DR on the cheap Im waiting for pricing for the licenses but past experience tells me that they are way to costly for a small businesses.

I know that this will be a crash consistent copy and not a application consistent

So there isn't any other way to make a snapvault target writeable?

My backup idea is to use either Veeam Backup or VMware SRM (with integrated replication in 5.0)

-J

Hi Scott,

We have SnapVault running against a vfiler as a target on 7.3. I seems to be working and the snapvault status report looks good.

-J

The only way to make writable is to snapmirror convert. Then break. That needs a snapmirror license. You could clone too and convert. The issue is resync is a full after since the vault is broken after.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Must be via cli. Pm shouldn't support it. There is a note in the online data protection guide that it isn't supported but I think because of some Burts. As a source it is supported. I think 8.1 is all set source and target now to the vFiler

Sent from my iPhone 4S