VMware Solutions Discussions

Disaster recovery with Snapvault?

JANAKE_RONNBLOM

Hi,

We have a 3210 filer running 8.1RC3 where we use CIFS for Windows clients and NFS for VMware. We also have an older 3020 filer running 7.3.x. We have Snapvault licenses on both filers. They are in different locations connected with 10Gbit.

Im thinking of using SnapVault for a light version of Disaster Recovery. As I understand it SnapVault operates on qtrees and not on volumes. So I need to create qtree on the new flexvols and snap that. I'd like to setup a daily snapshot.

Since this will be a new deployment (new customer) I plan to do it like this:

VMware environment

- Setup a vfiler on 3210  (vmfiler) with a flexvol (vol_vm_dstore01) and a qtree (vm_dstore01).

- Setup a vfiler on the 3020 (vmfilerdr) with a flexvol (vol_vm_dstore01_dr) and qtree (vm_dstore01dr)

- In case of a problem Id like to remove the snapvault connection and schedule.

- Id like to export the vm_dstore01dr over NFS from vmfilerdr and connect it to our secondary VMware farm.

For CIFS services I would do the same

- Setup a vfiler on 3210 (fs01) with a flexvol (vol_fs01_data01) and a qtree (fs01_data01)

- Setup av vfiler on 3020 (fs01dr) with a flexvol (vol_fs01_data01_dr) and a qtree (fs01_data01).

- In case of a problem Id like to remove the snapvault connection and schedule.

- In preparation I would setup CIFS for the filer as (fs01dr).

- I would also use DFS so that when I can bring the DCs online again I can easily change the client mappings to the new vfiler on the 3020.

Is this possible?

-J

20 REPLIES 20
Public