VMware Solutions Discussions

Got questions about SMVI?

mlisa

Our team is very interested in the questions posted on SMVI functionality, configuration, and automation … thanks for taking the time to share.  And please keep the questions and feedback on your experiences working with SMVI, good or bad, coming.  Good feedback makes for a good day, bad feedback makes for a better product J.

I also wanted to let you know that NetApp is hosting an SMVI/SRM Webcast on February 19 focusing on data protection in a VMware environment: NetApp SMVI for backup/restore and VMware SRM for disaster recovery. SDDPC Sys Admin Rick Scherer - who designed and maintains a 25 host VMware ESX 3.5 farm with well over 300 Virtual Machines, plus writes a great blog (http://vmwaretips.com/wp/) - will be joining us to describe how his team uses SMVI. There will also be a panel of folks, including best practices authors and reference architects, to address questions submitted via chat.

Webcast: http://communications.netapp.com/p/Network_Appliance/20090219140000WL?REF_SOURCE=communities

Lisa Haut-Mikkelsen

SMVI Product Manager

213 REPLIES 213

amritad

Hi

Recovering from Loss of SMVI Server when Installed on Local Disk

The following steps must be taken to protect SMVI when installed on local disk:

1. Backup the following two directories

i. %PROGRAMFILES%\NetApp\SMVI\Server\repository\

ii. %PROGRAMFILES%\NetApp\SMVI\Server\etc

2. In the event of failure of the SMVI server, install SMVI on a replacement system.

3. Stop the SMVI service

4. Copy the backed-up files listed in step 1 to their original location.

5. Restart the SMVI service within Windows.

6. Start the SMVI GUI and enter “Setup’”.

7. Enter the vCenter server name or IP address.

8. Enter the necessary storage information

9. Select “Restore” from within the SMVI GUI.

Backup jobs will be listed and scheduled jobs will run successfully.

Since the backups.xml and scheduledbackups.xml files are updated every time a backup completes, is

renamed, or is deleted, these files require frequent backup in order to reflect all changes and enable all

backups to be restored. Although installing SMVI on local disk is supported, NetApp recommends

configuring SMVI on shared storage, as described below.

More information is available in TR 3737

Regards

Amrita

rethelion

Works great, thanks for your help Amrita

amritad

Good to know

Regards

Amrita

We have a structure of 3 NFS volumes for our VM's. The volume are set as the following:

- nfs_os_01

- nfs_data_01

- nfs_page_01

Basically a single VM will have a drive in each of the above volumes. We have a SMVI backup job on the 'os' datastore which says that it knows it has VM's that use other datastores and that there'll be backed up. All good so far.

The 'recent _snapshot' always reside in each of the volumes listed above so we backup the 'recent_snapshot' in the nfs_os_01 to tape. This serves us well however once in a while the 'recent_snapshot' isn't in the the nfs_os_01 volume (but will be in the other volumes) causing our backups to tape to fail. The next backup run will correct itself and we are good again.

Has anyone else experienced a missing recent snapshot in one volumes but not in others?

Thanks

Mark

I have a stuation with SMVI 2.0 where I have a VMware vSphere 4 virtual machine with its disks thin provisioned by VMware on a VMFS datastore.  When I go an restore the VM, the disks come bck as thick provisioned.  I have not seen a parameter that I could pass to SMVI 2.0 to tell it that the disks should be restored as is.

amritad

Yes this is a bug that was identified.

Regards

Amrita

JustinDuncan

Is SMVI AD aware?  We have some VM's that are Domain Controllers; if the backup is not system state aware and we restore a DC, it will cause a DSN rollback (epic ugly).  If it isn't, that would be my 'A numbah 1' feature request; using the built-in MS backup to capture system states on VM's is kind of a necessary evil and a major hassle, both.

findlay

AFAIK SMVI has no knowledge of the operating system being snapped.  It relies on the vmware snapshot functionality and it's knowledge/interaction with the OS.  again AFAIK vmware doesn't do a very consistent backup of 2008 machines.  To be safe, I have a script to shut down  my DCs, vmware snapshot them and start them up again (one at a time).  that way I'm guaranteed a consistent snapshot exists.

hope this helps.

wickerman

Hi everyone hope someone can give me some pointers.

We recently purchased SMVI 2.0 to test in our lab environment. We tested this  using Vsphere 4.1 NFS and a NetApp FAS2020.

I have some questions.

When we run an SMVI backup of a virtual guest it always backs up the entire  LUN rather than just the guest ?

I might add we do not have a flexclone license on this 2020 unit is this the  reason why this is happening ?

I'm a bit behind the times and noticed that Netapp released VSC 2.0. Is this  snapin to replace SMVI 2.0 ?

I read the requirements regards SVC. It mentions you need an SMVI licence we  have one listed againt the 2020 unit we purchased bit it's not a actual key or  number associated with it, is this correct ?

And same question again do we need a Flexclone license to backup individual  guests using SVC 2.0 ?

Really confused at the moment if any one can shed some light on the matter  i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jason.

keitha

Hi Jason!

SMVI work rather different that most VM backup products since it leverages the snapshot ability of the NetApp controller. It will always take a snapshot of the Volume on the controller (usually containing the VMFS LUN). Therefore rather than building a backup job per VM we strongly recommend you build a backup job for the entire datastore. This has 2 benefits, firt you now have one snapshot created that has all your VMs in it and 2 when you add new VMs to the datastore they will automaticlly be backed up.

Second question, yes VSC 2.0 replaced SMVI 2.0. In fact the most current version you will want to install is VSC 2.0.1P1 This is the newest version of SMVI which is now called Backup and Recovery module for VSC.

If you purchased the SMVI license for your 2020 you are fully covered for VSC versions incluing the B&R module,

FlexClone is not required, same as before, you don't really backup a single VM rather create a snapshot of the whole volume.

Keith

wickerman

Thanks for the fast replies Keith. Very Helpful.

Where can I download VSC 2.0.1P1 ?

Regards,

Jason.

imarcroft

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software/

at the bottom of the list there is a list to access specific software, select virtual storage console in the version box type 2.0.1P1

you will need a NOW account to access this

bmatthews

We're testing SMVI, and wondering about the best way to move the backups off to tape.  We use NetBackup, but unfortunately don't have the NDMP license.  Are there any other options to get the SMVI backups to tape?  Maybe a CIFS or NFS mount that we can backup from a windows or linux server with the NetBackup client?

dbeauchea

We have a business need to trigger restores of VMs using SMVI from an external system.  From what I have read the SMVI GUI client talks to the SMVI server via SOAP.  Are there any documents describing all of the SOAP methods available in the SMVI server?  The SDK seems geared more towards ONTAP in general & there is no mention of SMVI in the SDK.

As a workaround we could create a web service running on the same server as the SMVI server & generate the necessary SMVI command line client commands to perform the restores.  Is NetApp aware of any clients using SMVI in this manner?

keitha

Can I ask you to either contact me directly for this request or start a new thread?

I don't quite understand the request here. You want to start the restores from a remote system not connected to VI client? Or you want to restore VMs to an alternate VMware environment while leaving the production one intact?

Keith

michaelhoare

Hi all,

I've got a quick one for you..

I'm reasonably new to the SMVI stuff as we had a dedicated resource for that - however he's left and I'm currently building a new ESXi environment for us to migrate to..

I've got a new VC Server managing this new ESXi Datacenter and I've installed VSC etc...

Both VC Servers use the same NFS Datastores..

I've got existing SMVI jobs for the datastores on the 'old' VC Server.. So I want to backup VM's that I've removed from inventory on the original VC Server, using SMVI on the new VC Server.. I'm wondering how this will affect my original jobs - will it duplicate the backups, [as it seems they're done by datastore and not individual VM], or will each VC Server back up the VM's that it controls...

This may seem a little gibberish-y but I hope you get what I'm trying to explain..

Many Thanks for any feedback,

Mike...

keitha

Hi Mike,

If you have built the backup jobs at the datastore level as you indicated then you can simply move your VMs from one VC to the new one. You will though have to rememeber if you have to do a restore which datastore it was on at the old VC in order to perform the restore.

Keith

daniel_kaiser

Is there a SnapManager for VI GUI and CLI for VSC 2.0.1?  If not, is it possible to use SnapManager for VI GUI 2.0 to manage VSC 2.0.1 backups/restores?

keitha

The only GUI for VSC 2.0.1 is the one intrgrated into VMware vCenter. The CLI however does still exist on the VSC/SMVI server. You cannon manager VSC 2.0.1 with a SMVI 2.0 GUI.

Keith

brendanheading

Keith,

By coincidence I was looking at the VSC documentation today. We are doing a new VMware deployment and I think we should be using VSC.

The notes for VSC suggest that it is a complete replacement for SMVI. However, the VSC documentation makes reference to an SMVI installation at numerous points. Are there scenarios where you need to have both ?

Further to that particular point, can VSC be remotely controlled by Protection Manager or is this in the pipeline ? I know that there was a script to allow PM to trigger SMVI backups.

Brendan

keitha

Hey Brendan,

I admit that the documentation is a little confusing right now. It's something i have taken on and hope to correct soon. There is just the VSC release however the Backup and Recovery module of the VSC is the old SMVI and you will note that the VSC installs and configures a SMVI service on the VSC server. So when you read SMVI translate it as "Backup and Recovery Module for VSC" and viceversa.

The current release does not integrate with Protection Manger at all, but that is definitly in the pipeline. In fact the version in the pipe has very very tight integration with PM. Stay tuned there!

Keith

Public