VMware Solutions Discussions

How to connect NetApp Simulator to Active Directory Server?

PAWAN6131

Hi there,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on my VMware with Windows host and I have installed Data ONTAP Release 7.1X17 on my linux VM.

I have created a CIFS share from the simulator and now I can access it from my host Windows machine.

What I need to do is, I need to create Windows based ACL on the CIFS share but the Security tab in the properties is missing.

Also I will need to connect this NetApp Data ONTAP to Active Directory Server.

I'm very new on this Data ONTAP Simulator.

Can anyone help on these two issues I'm facing?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pagrawal

Hi,

You might have created a share on a unix style volume or qtree. you should be able to see the security tab if its set to ntfs or mixed.

chek the style set on your qtree ,ex: myvolume,myqtree

>  qtree status myvolume

change the style using command

> qtree security /vol/myvolume/myqtree  ntfs/mixed

Default security style depends on value of options "wafl.default_security_style"

Thanks,

Pragya

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

pagrawal

Hi,

You might have created a share on a unix style volume or qtree. you should be able to see the security tab if its set to ntfs or mixed.

chek the style set on your qtree ,ex: myvolume,myqtree

>  qtree status myvolume

change the style using command

> qtree security /vol/myvolume/myqtree  ntfs/mixed

Default security style depends on value of options "wafl.default_security_style"

Thanks,

Pragya

PAWAN6131

Hi pagrawal,

Thanks a ton for your suggestion. It worked for me. Now I can access the security information.

Now my big problem is solved.

Also, can you tell me how to modify ACL from NetApp simulator. I observed that chown chmod doesn't work for it.

I need to change ownership of a file to a user from active directory. Please help me on this as well.

Thanks in advance.

pagrawal

Hi,

From the simulator you can modify share level ACL using following CLI .

Example: myshare,myuser

> cifs access myshare myuser  r w x

> cifs shares myshare

There is an option wafl.root_only_chown,  when ON it allows root user to change ownership of a file.

Thanks.

PAWAN6131

Hi Pragya,

I think I'm not much clear. Well, this is what the scenario is:

Say, I have a user on ABC.COM/user1 (Where ABC.COM is my AD server and user1 is one of the users in that AD) and I have created an CIFS export named "Exp1" and created a file from Windows machine in this export, with file name as "f1.txt".

This is how my shares looks like with full access to Everyone:-

Exp1     /vol/vol0/home              
   everyone / Full Control

Now, what I want to do is to set this ABC.COM/user1 as the owner of this "f1.txt" file.

I can access this "Exp1" from my Windows machine and I can change file permissions from Windows, but not file ownership.

I don't even know how to traverse to different directories and locations in NetApp sim.

cd command does not work, neither chown.chmod.

I have enabled walf.root_only_chown, but I didn't find any way to change the ownership of that file.

Please help.

Thank you for your time.

pagrawal

Hi,

For changing ownership you can follow this,

From the  file properties go to, security tab -> select Advanced ->go to owner tab.

There it will list the current owner of the file, if you want to change the owner you can edit .In case the user you want to give ownership is not listed you can search from 'Other user and group' .

Please find the attached screen shot for reference.

PAWAN6131

Hi Pragya, this is how my owners tab look like. I don't see any other users and group. One more thing I wanted to ask, What should I enter when installation prompts, "Where is the filer located?" - I entered my computer's IP address.

pagrawal

Hi,

I had tried changing ownership of file in windows2008 R2, it worked for me , Note: My machine was in same domain as of cifs domain.

It seems that your machine is in different domain than cifs domain and it doesn't support editing ownership by adding 'other user and group' like window2008R2 does.  (note: I am observing this behavior in windows xp)

you might give a try by putting your machine on same domain as cifs and log in as your domain user. or you may try with the windows 2008 in same domain.

The answer for your second question "Where is the filer located", is the physical location of the your NetApp Simulator. it can be geographical location,location in building  etc.

Thanks.

PAWAN6131

Hi Pragya,

Sorry to get back too late, but situation was pretty bad for me.

Anyways, I understand the problem of that "Other Users and Groups" now. But one thing still itching me is how do I specify the filer location? Do I need to write my computer's IP address?

And also, I'm unable to provide the timezone. It's not accepting anything I enter.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

pagrawal

Hi Pawan,

Filers location is the physical location of the filer, in your case I think you can put physcial location of your computer not the ip address,you can put the city,building etc.

you can set timezone using 'timezone' command , example : timezone EST, timezone GMT.

Also if you are using filerview  you can set timezone from , Wizards->setup wizard

Thanks,

Pragya

PAWAN6131

Hi Pragya,

Thank you a ton times for your answers.

I really appreciate your knowledge.

PAWAN6131

Hi Pragya,

Finally, I'm connected to the AD server after changing the timezones everywhere. It was giving me an error when prompting for Password on Administrator@AD.COM. It kept on asking password, though I entered accurately.

Now after creating a CIFS export, when I try to mount the export on the AD machine it gave me an error of which is :

Also, one weird thing I observed was that, when I start the simulator it shows time zone as GMT, but after few operations it shows EST. Where is this GMT timezone set? I changed timezone everywhere to EST for New York, but still it's showing GMT. Below is the screenshot for this timezone conflict:

pagrawal

I am not sure about this,  you can try setting timezone and date properly in host machine where you are running your simulator , data ontap simulator picks up time details from the host machine.Keep the host machine time in sync with the DC.

Rerun the cifs setup after time details are updated in your simulator.

ralfaro01zero

Hi Pawan,

Basic question, is your simulator joined to the AD domain? If not, you just have to run the cifs setup:

toaster> cifs terminate

toaster> cifs setup

And follow the instructions, be sure that your filer has the proper DNS and that it has the clock synchronized with your Active Directory server, no more than 5 minutes skew, you can set that like this:

toaster> options timed.servers your.ad.server.ip

toaster> options timed.max_skew 4m

toaster> options timed.proto ntp

toaster> options timed.enable on

I have noticed in some filers that you have to set the clock manually first, then enable ntp sync, if you don't do it it won't sync.

Cheers.

PAWAN6131

Thank you Ricardo, I did connect my NetApp sim to ADS now.

Public