Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

How to identify NetApp LUN ID in Vmware ?

Hi,

I have allocated couple of NetApp LUNs from different filer to a Vmware host ? Now how do I identify NetApp LUN IDs along with their Filer name or serial number ?

Thanks

Raj

How to identify NetApp LUN ID in Vmware ?

on esx host, go to configuration tab, storage adapters, then highlight the vmhba (fc or iscsi) that the lun is on.  Change from "devices" tab to "paths" tab...scroll to target.  There, you will find the  system id of the netapp filer.

Re: How to identify NetApp LUN ID in Vmware ?

lun show -m

from the command line will show you all LUN ID's

Hope this helps.

Responding to an old question but in the event this will help someone else searching.  To positively know that a particular NetApp mapped LUN is the same ESXi storage device:

TLSmiley Very HappyR version is the VMware LUN identifier is the hex of the NetApp LUN Serial No. string.

1. In vSphere, select the host configuration tab, storage.
  2. Select the Devices View   
  3. Sort by LUN # and locate the LUN you want to verify.
  4. Right click the LUN in the Devices list and select "Copy identifier to clipboard"
  5. Paste the copied identifier into a Hex to String converter
    1. http://www.string-functions.com/hex-string.aspx
  6. Copy the converted string and paste to a work note.
  7. In the NetApp System manager, select the LUN you want to verify in the LUN list.
  8. In the LUN properties pane, copy the Serial No.
  9. Paste Serial No. below the converted hex in the work note and compare.  There may be some odd ASCII characters at the beginning of the converted hex that you can ignore.

Note an alternate method to get the NetApp LUN Serial No value is in the CLI.  Use: lun show -v

This worked perfectly for me.  I was able to find the serial and with the -v switch determine the serial of the LUN and match them

Thanks

You can use lun serial -x <lun_path>. With -x serial number is printed in HEX format.