Subscribe

Major Newbie Question - How to backup SMVI snapshot with CommVault Simpana 8

I'm new to both NetApp and CommVault worlds, which will become obvious in a moment.

We have a V3140 that we use for backend storage (FC) for our vSphere environment.  After playing with SMVI 2.0 we really started to hate VCB more than we did before.  However, VCB gives us the ability to backup VMDKs to tape or whatever for archiving and DR.  So the newbie question is, before we go and file for divorce from VCB, how do we do a DR backup of our VMDKs with Simpana once a SMVI snapshot is taken?  Is this even possible or do I need SnapVault or something else in place?

TIA

Re: Major Newbie Question - How to backup SMVI snapshot with CommVault Simpana 8

how do we do a DR backup of our VMDKs with Simpana once a SMVI snapshot is taken?

CommVault supports NDMP to tape & SnapMirror to tape (SM2T) - in both cases you stream a particular snapshot directly to a backup device.

http://www.commvault.com/pdf/CV_SolutionBrief_NetApp.pdf

Regards,

Radek

Re: Major Newbie Question - How to backup SMVI snapshot with CommVault Simpana 8

The real trick of course is how to restore a LUN backed up through NDMP, I am still looking for a nice description on how to do this effortlessly... You will have a NetApp LUN 'bubble' around your VMDK files, so as far as I can tell there would be no easy way to restore a single VMDK from tape.

The real trick of course is how to restore a LUN backed up through NDMP, I am still looking for a nice description on how to do this effortlessly...

It may be a tad tricky, but definitely doable - have a look at this thread re NetBackup:

http://communities.netapp.com/thread/6367

Regards,
Radek

I should have mentioned that our filer is just presenting SAN LUNs to vSphere.  We're not using it for NAS or NFS or anything like that.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference with NDMP or not.

As mentioned, having LUNs instead of an NFS volume is different. This has to do with the level at which you make the backup, with NFS you are directly in the file system backing up 'VMDK' files, as opposed to LUNs - which will look like 1 big file from which you cannot directly restore a VMDK file without recovery the entire LUN first. (at least when it is on tape).  Please test this before you implement, try to contact your CommVault rep to give you some pointers on the restore process.

We were in exactly the same situation, SMVI, CommVault 8, etc.

We moved away from FC to NFS on dedicated switches. So much easier to manage, cheaper, no HBA, fiber cables, fiber switches and you can restore everything you need from NDMP backup because it is open file system, you can just restore one VMDK or all, whatever you want.

Performance is the same, no downside. We have 2 dedicated HP Procurve 2910al (10gb up, 1gb down) uplinked to FAS2050 via 4 10Gb cables, and each ESX host has 2 1Gb connections to switches.

If you can, move away from FC to NFS, will save you money and time in a future.

This should also apply to Veritas tape backups right?

REgards

Amrita

Yes, this has nothing to do with the type of a backup software, it is a protocol thing, FC vs NFS

Thanks this really helps.

Regards

Amrita