VMware Solutions Discussions

Match VMWARE datastore to NetApp volume

DerwentGuy

I have a datastore showing on my vCenter Server. It has two VM's in it and they are both working although they are switched off. I want to delete this datastore to free up some space

The name it has does not match any of the volume or LUN names on the FAS2040.

My question is how do I match these two entities up and identify which volume/LUN the datastore is using.

This is a VMFS volume mounted through iSCSI

I am running vSphere 5.5 with VSC 5.0 and ONTAP 7.3.6

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gavin_meadows

Not sure about VSC 5 but on 4.2  if you go into 'Storage Details - SAN' via the Netapp Plugin from the home screen, it shows you your Datastores (MyDatastore) and their LUN Pathname (/vol/volume/lun)

Also, if you use the VSC to delete your datastore you know it will delete the correct lun Man Wink

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gavin_meadows

Not sure about VSC 5 but on 4.2  if you go into 'Storage Details - SAN' via the Netapp Plugin from the home screen, it shows you your Datastores (MyDatastore) and their LUN Pathname (/vol/volume/lun)

Also, if you use the VSC to delete your datastore you know it will delete the correct lun Man Wink

saranraj456

vsc -storage details will have the lun information you can match it up with datastore

DerwentGuy

That did the trick.

In VSC 5 you go in through the WebClient and select vCenter - Storage Systems - then the SAN tab from the selected storage system. It shows datastore and LUN path.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

gavin_meadows

No Probs.  Glad you sorted it Man Very Happy

lasswellt

also, if you didn't (for some reason) have the VSC installed, you could use the LUN ID and the iGroup on the NetApp to identify the LUN. Through System Manager looking at the iGroups on the NetApp you can see the mapped LUNs and determine which volume the LUN sits in. 

Public