VMware Solutions Discussions

Multistore and VIFs

nsitps1976

Is it possible to aggregate all Ethernet interfaces on a controller into a static multimode VIF and have this VIF be partitioned across multiple vFilers?

I thought I read somewhere that you could only assign physical interfaces to vFilers? – I want all vFilers to be able to utilise the entire aggregate bandwidth of a VIF which includes 4 Ethernet interfaces, I do not want to limit each vFiler to one Ethernet interface.

77 REPLIES 77

nsitps1976

So within the vsc you need to add the controllers for the host system? Is this not a security breach going against the whole idea of vfilers??

scottgelb

For NFS provisioning yes we need vfiler0 auth... for iSCSI no... vsc can talk to the vFiler directly for provisioning iscsi ... but if you want to add volumes to the vFiler you definitely need vfiler0 access (although I haven't tried adding a volume with vsc to a vfiler...not sure how/if that will work...but worst case vfiler add before vsc).

nsitps1976

I have created a vol and assigned to the vfiler, added the vol as a resource, howerver I still can't create a datastore on the vfiler from within vsc.

The error reads: No datastore types are available. Please check storage controller licenses and support ESX host protocols.

Any idea?

nsitps1976

Just noticed one other thing. It also mentions that the storage controller (vfilerx) does not have any enable iscsi interfaces?

scottgelb

Is iscsi disabled for the vfiler?  "vfiler status -a"... does vfiler0 have an iscsi license?  I'm sure it is but just make sure...

nsitps1976

iscsi is licensed on vfiler0 and iscsi is allowed on vfilerX - vFilerX is a live vfiler serving iscsi luns.

scottgelb

So you're saying iscsi is working   If you authenticate vfiler0 to VSC does it fix the issue (curious to see if that is needed now)...

nsitps1976

Certainly looks more promising as I can choose the storage controllerthen the vfiler within the provision data store wizard. However! I do receive theexact same error as before “No iscsi interfaces etc??”

nsitps1976

Anyone have any ideas on this?

nsitps1976

Hi Scott

I am having issues with NFS within a vfiler – I always receive the error “The operation failed because the specified directory path in incorrect” from an ESX server.

I have check the exports file and exportfs against other non mutistore filers for config errors – I have checked the file via cfis and rdfile for syntax errors – NFS is running also.

I did try a trace with “options nfs.mountd.trace on” within the vfiler, however there is no messages log to check?

Am I missing something relevant to vfilers with NFS?

Regards

scottgelb

Dns is setup? Nis or ldap for name resolution? Same nfs implementation.. Logging is to messages still.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

nsitps1976

I have answered this myself - I was naming the datastore within ESX the same as the path, i.e. /vol/volume/qtree I changed the name to a single label name and all is well..

Thanks for the quick reply, again!

ASREIDWWT

do the vFilers support multiple default gateways?

So if I am running two vFilers can they each have their own default gateway?

If yes, how do you accomplish this?

Thanks

Aaron

scottgelb

Different IPspaces. There is one default gateway per ipspace. So if two vFilers are in the same ipspace, only one can set it and the other would get an error setting what is already there. If different gateways are needed then a use case for a new ipspace. Or route add net/host commands which can be painful.

nsitps1976

We have customers who run within their own vfiler – each vfiler has its own ipspace and as Scott said, each ipspace has its own default route.

Works great…

Public