VMware Solutions Discussions

Need reboot ESX after set HBA/MPIO setting via VSC?

chao

After installed VSC, it could help to check the ESX HBA setting and MPIO setting.  that's great to aviod installation HostUtility at every ESX server.

my questions is HostUtility could help to set ESX HBA setting, but it need reboot to take effect.

How about VSC?  if use VSC set HBA setting,  need I reboot the ESX server?   Please advice.

BTW,  I found the same HBA setting,  VSC 1.0 report normal but VSC 2.0 report Alert.  any idea?

How about MPIO setting correction? (I guess it need not reboot ESX)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dbkelly

The MPIO settings do not require a reboot, but both the adapter settings and NFS do require a reboot.

As for the discrepancy between the HBA settings between 1.0 and 2.0, this is due to the addition of the QFull settings in 2.0.   Since this are SAN settings, they piggy-back on the HBA settings.   If you right click the host and show details, you will see the QFull settings in red text.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

darren_hedges

Not sure if this is always the case but wouldn't you need to configure the host to use alua anyway to get the most from the mpio which would need the server rebooting ?

chriskranz

Yes, the host does need a reboot. Many of the settings are loaded with the drivers on boot, so you do need to give the ESX host a reboot for these all to take effect. VSC doesn't change this fact as either way is simply making the same change on the ESX host, just through a different interface.

chao

Yes.  I agree that it's normal principle. I wonder why VSC does not prompt after set the recommended setting to HBA.  Does it mean that VSC will do a judgement by real status?  Mostly EU don't like to reboot anything.

Is there a clear description and discussing about this topic?  How about VSC eng team's feedback?

dbkelly

The MPIO settings do not require a reboot, but both the adapter settings and NFS do require a reboot.

As for the discrepancy between the HBA settings between 1.0 and 2.0, this is due to the addition of the QFull settings in 2.0.   Since this are SAN settings, they piggy-back on the HBA settings.   If you right click the host and show details, you will see the QFull settings in red text.

Public