Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

NetApp VSC Powershell Toolkit

All,

Some of you are familiar with our previous "kamino" powershell cmdlets/module.  The problem with that is that is was focused on one particular functional area of VSC:   Provisioning & Cloning.

That simply does not scale well.

So we went back to the drawing board, and did some renaming of the code.

Caveats:

• Functionally, these are identical actions to the previous kamino cmdlets.
  • We have renamed things to be more generic, or all-encompassing, as we begin down the path of adding APIs for many tasks in the VSC.
  • We understand that many of you already have scripts in place using the older stuff, but please understand, all you need to change is the module that gets loaded, and the cmdlet names used.

Going forward:

• As we add new APIs to VSC, we will also be adding equivalent cmdlets for that functionality.

If you have any questions, or run into any issues with the toolkit/module, please post them here!

Usage:

PS> Import-Module C:\Path-to-DLL\NetAppVSC.dll

PS> Get-Command -Module NetAppVSC

CommandType     Name

-----------     ----

Cmdlet          Connect-vsc

Cmdlet          Get-vscManagedObjectRef

Cmdlet          Get-vscVirtualMachine

Cmdlet          Get-vscVmFileSpec

Cmdlet          New-vscControllerSpec

Cmdlet          New-vscDatastore

Cmdlet          Remove-vscDatastore

Cmdlet          Set-vscDatastoreSize

Cmdlet          Start-vscClone

Cmdlet          Start-vscRedeploy

Thanks!

UPDATE:  Due to some inconsistencies we have found with the .dll (we think compiling corruption on the final build) we've pulled this down temporarily so that it doesn't proliferate further, and will get a new version up ASAP.  Please remember that this isn't something officially sanctioned by NetApp, but something that 1 or 2 of us are doing in our spare time.  Thank you for your patience, and we'll get it back very soon, I promise!

UPDATE: I am posting the original rebranded toolkit!  Please let know how this works!

-Nick

Re: NetApp VSC Powershell Toolkit 1.0

I have VSC 4.1 installed on our vCenter Server 4.1 U3 box. Will this toolkit allow me to create scripts for cloning out a development environment of several VMs? Do you know of any documentation or example scripts to get me started? I noticed there is no documentation in the zip file.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hey,

I'm unable to import this module to use it with powershell, I think that is because it is missing some files like the module manifest, and file that define the types..

Can you upload the full powershell module or explaine how can I use the files I have downloaded here?

Thank you,

Chen.

What Chen said!

Hi there,

Is there any doco on these cmdlets outside of the Get-Help options in PowerShell?

We're having issues with vCenter and VSC 4.1, the main one being an issue with the bootsPerMinute option breaking when we try to create clones.

Thanks

Pete

+1 What Chen said!

I think there's some stuff missing...

You're zip file is just the NetAppVSC.dll file...

The Connect-VSC cmdlet doesn't work... The Kamino version does:

The type initializer for 'com.netapp.vsc.cmdlets.Connectvsc' threw an exception.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback!  Just wanted to let you know that we're checking into this and will get a new version up soon!

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a rough eta? Also, can you make sure that it has the bootsperminute thing included in it?

Thanks

Pete

UPDATE:  Due to some inconsistencies we have found with the .dll (we think compiling corruption on the final build) we've pulled this down temporarily so that it doesn't proliferate further, and will get a new version up ASAP.  Please remember that this isn't something officially sanctioned by NetApp, but something that 1 or 2 of us are doing in our spare time.  Thank you for your patience, and we'll get it back very soon, I promise!

Good Day!

First off, thank you for doing this in your spare time.  Scripting these kinds of tasks saves everyone time once the scripts are written.

My question: I am looking for a way to "Set Recommended Values" (Open NetApp tab in vCenter -> Right Click Host -> Set Recommended Values) via a script.  Would this PowerShell toolkit allow for that setting?

Alternatively, I can set the advanced settings with the VMware PowerCLI, but my concern is there is something being set with the "Set Recommended Values" that I would be missing by setting the advanced settings manually.

Thank you again for your efforts in creating this Powershell toolkit.  It is very much appreciated and I look forward to seeing the updated link.