VMware Solutions Discussions

OnComand 5.0 and Host 1.0

michaeldparker

Hi All,

I decided to make the jump to install OnCommand 5 and upgrade our VSC 2.x to the new Host 1.0.  The installation of both went fine and the OnCommand 5 piece seems to work fine.

Where I am having problems is I'm having difficulty in understanding how to configure backups in OnCommand Host 1.0

1.  Can someone point to some good documentation on how to configure backups with the OnCommand 1.0 software or explain the basic steps, best practices, etc.

2.  Is the VSC 2.x client compatible with OnCommand 5 if I decide to go back to it?  I've been informed that 1.0 is not very reliable yet.  Anyone have any experience to speak to this?

3.  In VMware, if I go to the NetApp Host plugin, click on Legacy Backup and Recovery, shouldn't I see my old backup polices and backups?  This whole area is not populated with any data.

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

arunchak

HI,

See if the attached document is useful.

>> In VMware, if I go to the NetApp Host plugin, click on Legacy Backup and Recovery, shouldn't I see my old backup polices and backups?

Yes you should be able to see your old backups

Thanks,

Arun

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

arunchak

HI,

See if the attached document is useful.

>> In VMware, if I go to the NetApp Host plugin, click on Legacy Backup and Recovery, shouldn't I see my old backup polices and backups?

Yes you should be able to see your old backups

Thanks,

Arun

michaeldparker

Awesome! I was out yesterday, but the attached pdf is exactly what I'd been looking for.  I guess I just overlooked it.  Not sure why my old backups did not get preserved with the upgrade, but no loss to me as I was not relying on them yet.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

arunchak

HI,

Good that it was useful

Could you login to vCenter open the plugin wait for a while until the data populates in Legacy Backup and Recovery tab and let us know if it is appearing? Ideally it should be preserved.

Thanks,

Arun

michaeldparker

Could you login to vCenter open the plugin wait for a while until the data populates in Legacy Backup and Recovery tab and let us know if it is appearing? Ideally it should be preserved.

Thanks,

Arun

Thanks, yes I had tried waint awhile thinking the same perhaps and nothing ever shows.  When I was installing the Host portion, the installer hung and never closed.  It appeared done, but could not tell.  The NetApp tab in vSphere existed and all seemed normal with the exception of no legacy jobs.  After waiting for over 12 hours for the installed to finish, I ended up end tasking the installer and re-running the install to do a repair in case there were steps that needed to be done still.  The 2nd time, the installer ran perfect, but I wonder if perhaps my jobs were somehow lost due to the first install hanging.

arunchak

HI,

Yes, that could have been the reason. If the installer hangs again, let us know, we could check the install logs and perhaps might find some clue as to what could have been the reason for the installer not responding.

Thanks,

Arun

Public