Subscribe

OnCommand Host 1.0 How to Configure Dataset to exclude VM from Backup

Hi All,

I have another question about Host 1.0 and how it snaps VMs.  When you configure the software to backup VMs in the host plugin, you can choose to backup VMs in 1 of 3 ways: by Virtual Machine, by Datacenter, or by Datastore.  I want to backup all VMs and it makes most sense for our environment to manage the backups by choosing datastores to snap and backup.  The only problem I have  is that some of the VMs I want to be able to exclude from backup because I have a few VMs that cannot be snapped with VMware.  Rather than move all of the problem VMs to special Datastores, I would rather exclude them from being snapped, without excluding the datastore, until the problem is resolved.  Is this possible?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

I dont think this is possible. We do not have provision to exclude VMs from a datastore.

Another alternative is to add all the VMs individually to a single dataset.

Regards

Vishal

Hi,

If you have multiple VM's in a dataset, you can use below commands to exlcude VM to be protected with same dataset.

dfpm dataset exclusion add [ -D ] <dataset-name-or-id>

<object-name-or-id> ...

dfpm dataset exclusion remove [ -D ] <dataset-name-or-id>

<object-name-or-id> ...

dfpm dataset exclusion list [ <dataset-name-or-id> ]

Thanks

Nikhil

Nikhil,

Thanks for the reply.  I just tried what you suggested and it unfortunately did not work.  The error was that the VM is not excludeable.  I don't know if you guys have an influence in the design of the product, but this would be a very desirable abiltiy.  I find it very easy to manage my backups by datastores, but I need to exclude certain VMs so i don't get errors continually.  I realize that i could backup by VM, but I find this harder to manage to ensure all VMs are being backed up.

Thanks

Michael