VMware Solutions Discussions

SMVI 2.0?

HendersonD

I am about to deploy SMVI 2.0 on my production network. I have been reading the SnapManager 2.0 for Virtual Infrastructure Installation and Administration Guide as well as this guide:

SnapManager 1.0 for Virtual Infrastructure Best Practices

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3737.pdf

The above guide is a bit out of date since it covers SMVI version 1.0 and I am deploying version 2.0. Two questions:

1. Will the above best practices guide be updated soon?

2. I am most intersted in the content on page 9 of this guide which talks about the configuration of SMVI if the software itself is installed in a virtual machine. My VMWare Virtual Center runs as a VM so I will be installing SMVI 2.0 on a VM. I did not know if this section of the guide still pertains to SMVI 2.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amritad

Hi,

I am in the process of writing the BPG and the SMVI 2.0 BPG will be available in January. There are no changes being made to the section in which vCenter will be on a VM.

Regards

Amrita

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sarkar

1. The Best Practice Guide for smvi 2.0 is already written and under review process.

2. You can still install SMVI on VM as smvi 1.0.

amritad

Hi,

I am in the process of writing the BPG and the SMVI 2.0 BPG will be available in January. There are no changes being made to the section in which vCenter will be on a VM.

Regards

Amrita

HendersonD

Thank you, I am looking forward to deploying SMVI

Dave

hongwei

Hi Amrita,

Is your document out already ?

amritad

yes. It's available here

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3737.pdf

Next rev going on so some things have changed.

REgards

Amrita

hongwei

Hi Amrita,

Do you have any idea how can i do integration of SMVI and its snapvault backup with protection manager.

At least allows me to monitor the status and send alerts on lag time ?

I have found a couple of scripts around, but using those scripts i must install perl on the DFM server as well right ?

Regards,

Hong Wee

amritad

Hi Hong,

We have this SnapVault integration script available

http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-8720#comment-4670

Take a look.

Regards

Amrita

hongwei

Hi Amrita,

That is only integration between snapvault and SMVI right ?

Is there any integration between these and protection manager, for it to be monitor ?

Thanks and Regards,

Chua Hong Wee

amritad

It’s part of our roadmap to have that. But currently the script will only be used for SnapVault integration.

Regards

Amrita

keitha

I have configure SMVI with Protection Manager once. The deatils are a bit fuzzy but from what I remember I coud only configure the protection policy on the vault. This would trigger the snapshots on the vault side of things to set and control the vault retention policy. If you use protection manager to do the transfers there was no way I culd figure out to have it take the SMVI snapshot and not create one of it's own.

Matt Robinson's new SV-SMVI tool is very very good and I have implemented it a several customers already. You can't monitor the transfers with protection manager but it is very easy to set up and is very robust.

Keith

hongwei

Hi Kieth,

I've tried using the SV-SMVI tool but the job always at the script portion...

I've copy the exe file and placed it in the programs\netapp\SV-SMVI directory which i created

I've copy the .cmd file and placed it in the programs\netapp\smvi\server\scripts directory

Configured the snapvault relationship of the datastore LUNs

Configured the cmd file as

"C:\Program Files\NetApp\SV-SMVI\sv-smvi.exe –svuser root -svpasswd <passwd for root>"

but still it outputs error 1 on the script...

what could have i missed out ?

Regards,

HongWee

Public