VMware Solutions Discussions

SMVI: Cannot quiesce vm after sfr restore unless it is restarted

thomasdorsch

Since a few days, i expierience problems during snapshots of virtual machines. The error is reproducible on w2k8 r2 machines. Other os i didn't test at the moment.

Environment: VSC 4 VSphere ESXi 5 U1 Cluster NetApp FAS 3140 Ontap 8.0.1 P5 Shared Storage (NFS)

A quiesced snapshot of a vm fails with the following error details:

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 5 The error message was: Asynchronous operation failed: VssSyncStart

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 3 The error message was: Snapshot operation aborted

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 3 The error message was: Error when notifying the sync provider.

The snapshot doesn't get deleted after that so i have to consolidate these snapshot vmdk's by hand.

Scenario:

1. Did a scheduled backup with quiescing option enabled (runs well for almost a year with previous vsc versions)  SFR never made problems. Recently i did an update to VSC 4.0 cause i also update my VSphere Environment from 4.1 to 5.0 Update 1.
  2. Mounted the backup using SFR and can access it without a problem.
  3. Dismounted backup and deleted SFR session.
  4. Trying to do a snapshot again with quiescing optiion enabled which fails with the above error.
  5. Restart the vm and do a snapshot again which works without a problem (on another w2k8 server restarting didn’t fix it!)

The only additional information i see is an event in windows system log: The disk signature of disk 1 is equal to the disk signature of disk 0.

Another thing is, that the *vmx was modified and the disk mode changed: scsi0:1.mode = "independent-persistent" ???????????

What's going on here? I never saw this issues before!

Any help is welcome!

BR

Thomas

18 REPLIES 18
Public