Subscribe

SMVI Restore agent SFR fails to mount disk

hi guys,

I am trying to do a SFR. Although it worked fine when I tried it first I cannot get it to go anymore.
I have a backup of a datastore. This datastore contains a VM to which I want to restore a file.

I enter my source and destination to be the same VM and I specified limited SS and Selfservice on different occassions.
I clear my config, load the new one and select my VM.

I mount my backup and I get error that it failed to mount disk <> in backup <>. It says there was error mounting on the ESX server.
I cannot see anything in my vsphere client.

However, I can mount the same backup just fine by going into restore\backup\mount.

Any ideas?

Re: SMVI Restore agent SFR fails to mount disk

Hi

Can you check these?

- RA only supports the first partition on a virtual disk. For other partitions, you have to manually

use the Disk Management or diskpart tool.

- RA only supports NTFS/FAT-formatted partitions on a disk.

- SMVI can't add new SCSI controllers to power on a destination VM. Therefore the number of

disks that can be attached to a VM are restricted by the available free slots on existing SCSI

controllers. A VM can have a maximum of 60 disks (15 slots on 4 SCSI controllers).

- The automount feature is by default enabled for Windows XP and Vista. Therefore on VMs

running these operating

Regards

Amrita

I am having the same issue as this guy. My VM's adhere the to RA rules you have stated.

Do you have any further advice?

In my case, it turned out a permission thing. I had changed the permissions in vcenter

Good point. I'll add that to the list too

REgards

Amrita

Ms Das -

I've been enjoying tr3737 again today !

( http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3737.pdf )

Thought you'd like to know your work is appreciated.

: )

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Fastlane NetApp Instructor and Independent Consultant
http://www.fastlaneus.com/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

Thanks Eugene. Let me know what I can change to make it more helpful. We are working on the TR 3737 update for VSC 2.0 so all feedback is welcome J

Regards

Amrita

Quick update guys, the error was on my part.

I never realised you had to run the RA on the actual server you were wanting to do the restore to. I was running it from my PC. No the wonder it couldn't mount the backed up disks ;-)

Good to know J.

You could create a VM for SFR, install restore agent on it permanently and re-use that for multiple SFR operations.

Regards

Amrita

Are you saying RA does not have to be on the destination VM as stated in Best Practices guide?