VMware Solutions Discussions

SMVI has what looks like ipv6 links which don't work also in SFR recovery

imarcroft

Hi All

wondered if anyone else has seen this problem

all SMVI notifications have links in, which they reference what looks like an IPv6 address in which doesn't work when clicked on, as we are using IP v4

it has the following format

ht..://[fe80:0:0:0:84d8:47ef:8b30:f087%11]:8043/smvi/logViewer?id=backup_Daily8.15RDM'sattached_20100706201500

the fe80:0:..... is the part I refer to, if I replace this with the netbios name the links work

this is the same for the .sfr file for single file recovery, if you edit the .sfr file it too references the fe80:00 number

when I look at the IP stack for the card of the VC server IPv6 was selected, I have deselected IPv6 and rebooted the VC server. but makes no difference.

any help much appreciated

thanks

18 REPLIES 18

amritad

SMVI does not support ipv6. So even if it’s ipv4 you have selected you are not able to use SFR?

Regards

Amrita

imarcroft

I have no intention of using IPv6

by default when you install a windows 2008 box it automatically installs IP v4 and 6

the  server is only using IPv4, and with selected when ever SMVI send notification it doesn't use the IPv4 address in the Hyperlinks

Also when you use SFR the .sfr file emailed contains hyperlinks containing IPv6??

amritad

would it be possible to file a support case on this. We didn't hit this in the lab. Taking a look at the logs will help us resolve the issue.

Regards

Amrita

imarcroft

there is nothing in the logs

all you see is the notifications and .sfr file has the hyperlink with fe08:0:0.... and IPv6 instead of v4

if I manually replace the fe08:... number with the correct ipv4 address the hyperlink works

annoying with the .sfr file as there is a lot of amending to do so that when you point the restore agent to the corrected file it will work

maybe I will upgrade SMVI to the new VSC 2.0 which has it bundled?

amritad

Yeah you could try the VSC 2.0. IT will also give you storage console and Provisioning and cloning capabilities.

We’ll try and reproduce the issue in our labs as well. We haven’t hit it yet.

Regards

Amrita

imarcroft

so have you installed smvi on a win2k8 R2 box with ipv6 installed (not configured) and higher in the network order in advanced network properties?

amritad

Yes that’s right. If you can log a case on this that will really help.

Regards

Amrita

gary_thomas

I had this to.

I just disabled ipv6 via the registry and the problem went away.

There is also a field you can edit to replace the ip with a server name but it dosne't seem to update it in the email, thou it maybe just a service restart.

imarcroft

Thanks,

We have tried disabling it everywhere and several restarts of the server, nothing has worked.

We are currently planning to remove it and install VSC 2.0 which has SMVI bundled.

not sure if this version included the updates currently in SMVI P1D1, which fixes numerous problems with mounting backups?

Perhaps  Amrita could answer this?

amritad

We have filed a bug on this. I’m not sure if you filed a support case on this. IF yes could you please pass along the case number?

Regards

Amrita

imarcroft

Sorry I haven't

I am no longer on site to be able to provide the detailed information required to submit a case.

Can you confirm if VSC 2.0 containd the bug fixes in SMVI 2.0 P1D1?

amritad

Yes that’s correct VSC 2.0 contains all bug fixes which were part of SMVI 2.0D1P1

Regards

Amrita

support_2

Just wanted to post this here for others, from netapp support, fixed the problem for me (this was for VSC 2.0)

From what I understand, the case was opened because you have disable IPV6 following MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852 on both the server for the restore and vcenter where svc is installed (rebooted both) - problem still occurs.

There is a bug related to this, the link is below,

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=420194

Please do the following:

1) Shut down SMVI server (via Windows service)

2) Open the wrapper.conf file found here:

Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\wrapper.conf

3) Locate this section...

# Java Additional Parameters

wrapper.java.additional.1=-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

wrapper.java.additional.2=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote

wrapper.java.additional.3=-Dcommon.dir=.

wrapper.java.additional.4=-Dorg.apache.cxf.Logger=org.apache.cxf.common.logging.Log4jLogger

4) And ADD this line directly beneath

wrapper.java.additional.5=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

5) Start SMVI server (via Windows service), and test the SFR email notification.

tirou

Hi

I added the line as advised here. It resolved the problem!

Thanks for the remedy. It helped a lot to save my time searching for solutions!

I appreciate taking the time and posting the solution here.

Best regards

Tirou

goldsweeper

Just manually modify the sfr file and it should work

</ns10:Server>

<ns10:Endpoint>https://YOUR_SERVER_FQDNS_NAME:8043/smvi/services/hvss<ns10:Endpoint>

dburkland

Thank you for posting this, this worked like a charm!

EWILTS_SAS

Sigh...  I'm running the current version of VSC (4.2.1) nearly 3 years later and the bug is STILL there.  From my daily email:

You can view the log entries at https://[fe80:0:0:0:0:5efe:ac1e:15c7%11]:8043/smvi/logViewer?id=backup_SARC-backups_20140427191914.

DCAGary

Same here, i'm running SMVI 4.2.1 installed about 6 weeks ago and i have the same "bug", i've followed the fix here to edit the wrapper.conf file, rebooted the vCenter server but still get an IPv6 address in the SFR mails and backup notification mails. SMVI plugin has also been removed and reinstalled but still the same issue.

Public