VMware Solutions Discussions

SRM 5.5 and NetApp

ianaforbes

Hi. I'm running cdot and have created an SVM that houses all of my ESXi VMFS datastores. I've installed/configured SRM 5.8. The Array Manager has been configured for that SVM. I can see all of the replicated datastores under the Array Manager.

When I go and create a Protection Group, the wizard groups all of the datastores together (i.e. a single Datastore Group). Therefore, I can only create a single Protection Group that contains all my vm's.

I was hoping for more granularity. I want to be able to create a Protection Group for each of the datastores. My question is, does SRM treat a NetApp SVM as a single Datastore Group? Would I have to create an SVM for each volume (datastore) to be able to create separate Protection Groups?

How can I achieve the ability to create separate Protection Groups?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

J_curl

Do you have VM's with disks residing on datastores you want to seperate into different protection groups? You may have to storage vmotion some disks in order to get the separation of PG's.  If a VM spans multiple datastores, all those datastores will be pulled in to a single PG.

ianaforbes

Hi. That's what I was thinking might be happening, but I'd expect to see a few datastores lumped together because of that. I see all datastores (6 of them) lumped together as a single datastore group. Would that mean there is at least one vm with virtual disks that span all 6 datastores?

What about Datastore Clusters? If these datastores are part of a vCenter Datastore cluster, would that constitute a single SRM Datastore Group?

ianaforbes

Quick question. In NetApp. If all volumes have a Protection Policy that creates a common Snapmirror schedule (i.e. they all replicate at the same time), does that constitiute a Consistency Group? So, each volume has it's own snapmirror snapshot, but all volumes replicate together.

The answer to that will help me figure out why SRM is lumping all those volumes (datastores) together - since SRM treats storage Consistency Groups as a Datastore Group.

Public