Subscribe
Accepted Solution

Snapdrive 6.1 - Vmware ESX 3.5 - slow startup

Hi,

I've the following issue:

When I upgrade snapdrive 6.0.2 to snapdrive 6.1 in a vmware guest os (windows 2003), the vmware guest will boot very slow.

As I suspected snapdrive, I can see that it takes a lot of time to start the snapdrive service by restarting the snapdrive and looking in the event viewer.

When I did a deeper inspection, I may conclude that snapdrive wants to talk to our virtual center and that's where it goes wrong. This will take about 5 minutes or longer. (I saw this when I did a repair of snapdrive 6.1 software and at the part where the setup connects to vmware, the timeout was seen)

Is there a way to debug this and see what's going wrong ?

Greetings,

Boeckx Kris

Pidpa

Re: Snapdrive 6.1 - Vmware ESX 3.5 - slow startup

Hi Kris,

There may be some network congestion. You can simply try to login to VC from VI-client and see if it takes similar time or you can simply try login to VC using browser from VM.

Thanks,

Tapesh.

Hi Kris,

Yep, we've hit this as well - some bells are ringing that SnapDrive service dependencies are responsible for the problem.

Don't remember from the top of my head what the cure is, but I think setting  SnapDrive service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" solves the issue.

Regards,

Radek

Hi Kris,

Setting the "Remote Access Connection Manager" RasMan service as automatic should solve this problem.

Thanks,

~Satish

Hi,

This is the solution, thanks for that.

Is there an explanation for this ?

autch, that was a short turn around the corner

I thought the problem was solved but with the virtual center support not enabled, it's obvious that this was working.

I renenabled the virtual center support in the snapdrive setup and still got the problem.

I opened a case with netapp support and will come back with the solution

Greetings,

Kris Boeckx

Pidpa

Hi,

Loging in from vi-client or webconsole works fine. So no issue here.

Greetings,

Kris Boeckx

Pipda

SnapDrive uses web service to communicate with Virtual Center.

Initial login call takes time as web service framework tries to start all

the dependant services.

This behavior is seen only in windows 2003 Guest OS and Esx credentials

is provided.

Thanks,

~Satish

Satish,

I could understand "Initial login call takes time" but if I restart only the snapdrive service, it also takes about 5 minutes to start the service.

Greetings,

Boeckx Kris

Pidpa

What do the logs tell you? At which point of service startup is it taking up time?

~Satish

Hi,

Maybe stupid question, what log do I look for ?

In the netapp install directory, there are several ".log" files and several ".dat" files.

When I restart the snapdrive service, I see that the ".dat" files are updated (date modified) but they are unreadable.

the ".log" files are not written to.

Greetings,

Boeckx Kris

Pidpa