VMware Solutions Discussions

VIBE: problem creating VM snapshot

mheimberg

Hi

We are using VIBE 1.0.10 on vSphere (ESX 4.0) and have a problem creating backups.

The VIBE log states for some machines:

"WARNING: Problem creating VM snapshot for ServerName!"

Some of the machines have the VMWare SyncDriver disabled, but not all.

Also the eventlog of the vCenter Server shows not more details.

Any ideas where I can look for further details (except here of course 🙂  ) or what might prevent the creation of a VM-snapshot?

Regards

Markus

3 REPLIES 3

amiller_1

I hate to say this.....but my understanding is that VIBE is slowly being deprecated in favor of SMVI (the command-line version if you prefer that interface).

mheimberg

...but my understanding is that VIBE is slowly being deprecated in favor of SMVI

definitely. But 'til now VIBE has advantages: ability to create a new Snapshot for SnapVault, free naming of Snapshots ...

Markus

amiller_1

Quite true -- some of that is better in SMVI 2.0 I believe (not quite up to what can do with VIBE although I haven't specifically compared). It does look SMVI 2.0 has parameters around specifying a backup name at least.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/SnapManager/relsmvi_20/html/software/admin/GUID-06ECF5D5-5C42-49C9-B606-EE10C491132B.html

I'd be very happy to be illuminated here....just so I'm clear on what to recommend when.

Public