VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 4.1P1; vSphere 4.0: One controller in HA pair showing 'Alert' status

CHRIS_K_AU

So I have one HA pair configured in my VSC and previously it has been showing all green ticks in the status column. Recently I have had 1 controller start showing "Alert" in that column of the "Home > Solutions and Applications > NetApp" Overview page.

Where can I find the details about the Alert status? I'm familiar with many of the VSC logs from troubleshooting other issues with it but I'm not sure what I'm looking for here as all I have to go on i just the word "Alert".

FWIW System Manager shows no issues or warnings for the controller in question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

schrie

The "alert" status typically reflects what appears for the controller status, so it will match what appears in System Manager (i.e. failed hard disk, slow fan, etc); sometimes it will appear when you don't have optimal permissions or licenses available for that controller, or that controller doesn't match what is seen for the partner.

You can view the "status reason" by clicking on the tiny arrow beside one of the headings, and choosing the checkbox beside "status reason".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lasonsysadmn

Hi,

We have same problem... any solutions?

CHRIS_K_AU

I haven’t resolved it but it hasn’t stopped me using VSC at all.

The last I was in contact with NetApp support regarding this I needed to resolve a number of filer side permissions for the service account VSC runs as.

Try looking in your syslog’s for permission denied over API messages.

Also the RBAC User Creator Tool is fantastic for setting up reduced privilege roles: https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-19074

Chris Knowling

schrie

The "alert" status typically reflects what appears for the controller status, so it will match what appears in System Manager (i.e. failed hard disk, slow fan, etc); sometimes it will appear when you don't have optimal permissions or licenses available for that controller, or that controller doesn't match what is seen for the partner.

You can view the "status reason" by clicking on the tiny arrow beside one of the headings, and choosing the checkbox beside "status reason".

Public