VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 4.2.1 RC issue

roboshiro

My environment is as follows:

Vsphere 5.5

Ontap 8.1.4

VSC 4.2.1

I am running into an issue where I cant rapid clone a VM that is set to vm hardware version 9. We get an error stating the virtual machine hardware version is not supported. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to suppress this check and make the clone work? I am currently locked into VSC 4.2.1 due to documentation and CM purposes so an upgrade to 5.0 is not an option.

Note: We did downgrade the hw version to v8 and RC will work however due to the same reasons listed above this is not an option either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-RO

3 REPLIES 3

brianjm

Hi Robert,

In VSC 4.2, we definitely had issues with supporting VM hardware version 9.

However, that was addressed in VSC 4.2.1, which provides full support for ESX 5.5 (and therefore, VM hardware versions 9 and 10).

In short, if you have deployed VSC 4.2.1, then you should be successful cloning the VM.

I can offer a couple of next steps:

1) Double check that you really are running VSC 4.2.1.  I apologize if that sounds silly, but this was definitely an issue in VSC 4.2.

2) A VM of hardware version 9 cannot be run on an ESX host that is less than 5.1.  I would verify the host destination(s) are all 5.1 or better.

3) Can you successfully clone the VM (with hardware version 9) using vSphere client's built-in clone action (i.e., not using the VSC / rapid clone feature)?  If it fails outside of VSC, then there's nothing we can do within VSC to make it work.

If none of the above help, then if you could provide the kamino.log and a screen capture of the error, then we can determine the source of the issue.

Thanks,

Brian

stickle

I imagine this has something to do with how VM HW versions 9 and 10 are only able to be created through the vSphere web GUI and not through the vSphere thick client - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2007240

roboshiro

As a workaround to this I created a new vm using default Windows vm values. This creates a VM with the default hw version 8.  From there we attached the previous VM's vmdks to the new VM and wolla! Problem solved for the near term.

Public