VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 6.2.1 logviewer http error 500

jurgen

Hi,

I updated our vsc installation from 6.2P1 to 6.2.1.

Since the upgrade I have the following error when trying to use the logviewer:

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /smvi/logViewer. Reason:

Unable to compile class for JSP: 

An error occurred at line: 1 in the generated java file
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Stacktrace:

Caused by:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP: 

An error occurred at line: 1 in the generated java file
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Stacktrace:
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:92)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:330)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:423)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:317)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:295)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:282)
	at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:586)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:317)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:598)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:486)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:542)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1065)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:413)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:999)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:271)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:98)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:238)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:264)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:1201)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.processDispatchResult(DispatcherServlet.java:986)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:933)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:851)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:953)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:844)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:735)
	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:829)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:598)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:486)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:524)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1065)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:413)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:999)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:250)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:111)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:350)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:454)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handleRequest(BlockingHttpConnection.java:47)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:890)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:944)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:630)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:230)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handle(BlockingHttpConnection.java:66)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.run(SocketConnector.java:254)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ssl.SslSocketConnector$SslConnectorEndPoint.run(SslSocketConnector.java:665)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:603)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:538)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Thank you for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nicholsongc

I was able to apply "D2" and can happily report that this resolves the Log Viewer issue...  looks like a good fix.

...and I'm nototrious for stepping on every rake in the yard when it comes to this kind of thing!

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/vsc_win/6.2.1P1D2/download.cgi

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

ShawnDavis

We are having failed scheduled backups.  

2017-03-01 19:00:24,346 WARN - Virtual machine <MYVIRTUALSERVER> is currently migrating and will not be backed up

Yet the server was not being migrated.

Any else seeing this upgrade.   Tried deleting and recreating the job that runs the backup but it didn't help.

-S

JeffRusso

I also had the same error:

WARN - Virtual machine <MYVIRTUALSERVER> is currently migrating and will not be backed up

I tried multiple things, rebooting vCenter, re-registering the plugin, reinstall VSC and recreating the job.  They all failed.  I even tried migrating the VM to another host and datastore.  Still didnt' work.  Finally I removed the VM from inventory and reregistered it in vCenter.  The backup worked again.

AmitPanchal

Engineering has fixed the issue and will be releasing in the next VSC release vehicle. The release vehicle is in planning right now and I will get back to you by next week once the plan is finalized.

nicholsongc

Power to the people!

Thank you for the update.  I look forward to this fix.

clayton123

I appreciate the reply. This would be the 3rd time a fix was promissed in "the next release". Hopefully this time it's the ....

Thanks Amit, please keep us in the loop.

JeffRusso

Looks like 6.2.1P1 comes with java version "1.8.0_101".

Its have already be reported that java version "1.8.0_66" fixes the issue.  I just tested every version between the two and found that java version "1.8.0_77" works just in case someone wants to use a less out of date version.

amayacitta

Thanks for this fix, this worked for me with VSC 6.2.1P1 on vSphere 6.5, can now diagnose my issues further! 🙂 Cheers.

netrz

Please tell us if you find something. I have also seen this problem on my VSC 6.2.1P1.

aseitz

I have the same problem with 6.2.1P1. any News on this?

amayacitta

The fix is at the top of page 2 of this thread, no offical fix but this does work fine.

http://community.netapp.com/t5/VMware-Solutions-Discussions/VSC-6-2-1-logviewer-http-error-500/td-p/125540/page/2

EdKutsko

Come on NetApp.  When is the official fix coming out?  I don't want to back rev to an old version of java based off of a post that says this worked for me, but you may not want to do this.

clayton123

I agree, we should not have to use this method.

With all the SE's and managment reading this blog you would think someone would carry the customers flag to engineering.  

We are being forced to take a security risk in order to insure our backups are completing... How bizarre.

Add to that the extreme amount of time and missed taget dates for a fix...

I know my recent experiances with support have not been "pleasant". Netapp is not the company it was five years ago.

I chose Netapp for it's add-on software packages, snapmanagers etc. but latley they're starting to be more of a PITA than the support bill warrants.

I really don't like to be critical especially since i'm a die-hard Netapp customer but my batteries are getting week...

scortez

I'm pleased to announce that the log issue is being tracked and that a D patch with the fix is planned to be relased on May 26, 2017.  Please reatch out to your account teams starting May 30th, 2017 to request access to the D patch.

Thanks,

Steven Cortéz

Virtualization Technical Marketing Engineer | Data Fabric & Manageability Group

clayton123

Nice. Thanks for moving this security issue towards resolution.

EdKutsko

Has anyone done this yet?  I just tried and it won't install because I was at 6.2.1P1 allready, so the installer says a newer version is present and exits.

Trying to install the new 6.2.1D1 that my SE gave me a link to.

nicholsongc

By the very name 6.2.1D1 I'd say the patch was predicated on version 6.2.1.... not 6.2.1P1...  Makes perfect sense now but if my theory is correct it doesn't do those of us who upgraded to 6.2.1P1 at the urging of NetApp support any good. Man Indifferent

EdKutsko

@nicholsongc wrote:

By the very name 6.2.1D1 I'd say the patch was predicated on version 6.2.1.... not 6.2.1P1...  Makes perfect sense now but if my theory is correct it doesn't do those of us who upgraded to 6.2.1P1 at the urging of NetApp support any good. Man Indifferent

Agreeded.  Not sure why thy would have put out a P1 and then put this out like this.  

scortez

i believe the patch your looking to install is VSC 6.2.1P1D2 not VSC 6.2.1D1

nicholsongc

I was able to apply "D2" and can happily report that this resolves the Log Viewer issue...  looks like a good fix.

...and I'm nototrious for stepping on every rake in the yard when it comes to this kind of thing!

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/vsc_win/6.2.1P1D2/download.cgi

ryanmonroe

clayton123

Hi,

Can this be applied directly over 6.2.1 strait.. (not "P" release?)

Public