VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 6.2 The hostname:port# cannot be resolved

CONSTANTINFREY

Hi,

we are running VSC 6.2 on a Win 2012 R2 server. Our Vcenter runs as Linux appliance. The installation and registration of VSC worked, but when I try to add a storage system I always get the error (with / without TLS):

"The hostname:port# cannot be resolved"

I have tried to install VSC as local admin as mentioned in a different thread, but it did not help. 

I do not see anything on our netapps itself, just this error message in the vsc log... 

Has someone the same issues? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CONSTANTINFREY

Okay I found the solution. It is the java security which does not allow keys < 1024. See this thread 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CONSTANTINFREY

Okay I found the solution. It is the java security which does not allow keys < 1024. See this thread 

Ankarman

I had an old 512 bit cert on the NetApps and I had the same problem and problem with System manager when running java 8u77 but not with java 8u60.

After regenerating the certs to 2048 VSC 6.2 can now connect to the NetApps and no problem with System manager with java 8u77.

maxuptime

Hello,

we have the same problem. but no tips help me. I can´t connect to my netappfiles, the error "the hostname:port# cannot be resolved" still avaible.

Has anyone new information ?

Regards

Stefan

CONSTANTINFREY

Have you tried to change the java security as I mentioned in my second post? 

maxuptime

Sorry, my mistake. I am changed the wrong row.

Thanks, now it works.

Regards

Stefan

PeterPham

We tried enabling TLS on the filer and that seemed to allow us to add the filer to VSC 6.2

SomeGuy

I am having the same issue. vCenter 6.1b on windows 2012 r2, VSC 6.2 on 2012 R2. All the backup jobs are failing as they can't find the storage systems, and I can't connect to the hostname:port# error.

This is happening on three identical systems.

I can connect to the storage systems from the VSC boxes via telnet to 443, so its not a connectivity issue.

I changed the java setting for VSC down to 512, but no change. I really don't want to roll back to 6.1

cstuemer

Hi,

I received the same error because, there was only SSL but not TLS enabled on the NetApp Filer.

After ''tls.enable' was set to 'on ', the problem disappears.

SomeGuy

well, the java change to 512 did fix the backup problem, but nothing else in VSC works (adding reming storage, ect). It keeps coming back to an inablility to communicate with the filers. I have ticket open - if they give me a fix I will update this post.

buivison

There is a bug related to this error message. Regenerating the SSL cert using 1024 resolved the issue for me. I was getting unknown on hosts, status, type on various 7mode systems. Also TLS must be enabled.

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=979202

Public