VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC created datastore not available for backup

KUNKELMA_CUZ

I created two NFS datastores using VSC and migrated servers to them, but when I went to VSC to create a backup job for them the new datastores are not available in the entities list. When looking at the NFS datastores in the "Storage Details - NAS" view, the Storage Status shows as "Offline" (althought the servers running on the datastores are working just fine). Under "Capacity" in that same view, it also reads "Volume is OFFLINE."

I've tried refreshing the volume scan a couple times, but it doesn't change the status and they still don't show up in the entities drop-down.

Any recomendataions are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KUNKELMA_CUZ

The issue was tied to the volume name. It was changed on the filer, but there weren't any warnings regarding the NFS mount change on the VMware side. The NFS connection continued to work, even though the /vol/asdf.. path was no longer valid, but VSC couldn't see the path the way that VMware was still talking to it. The VMs running on it were shut down, removed from inventory, the datastore unmounted, remounted with the current /vol/asdf... path, the machines added back into inventory, and now they show up as available for backup.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Public