VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC smvi CreateSnapshot_Task failed

peter1965

Hi -

environment is ESXi4.1 with vsc 2.1.1 snapping datastores nightly and retain for 7 days. This seems to be different machine names each night. So what I did is split the job per datastore each datastore about 20+ machines before I had it with one job to do poth. Anyhow since I split them I selected the "run now" on each and no errors. Also noticed the machines have 3 or 4 snapshots still on them.. Shouldnt there be none?

So I ask:

a) what causes this issue below and what could the resolution be?

b)why are the snapshots on the machines still even though it says removed. Some machines have no snap shots on them and did a test restore from the vsc back up and had no issues restoring.

c) do i need to go to each vm and manually remove the snapshot via vmware?

2012-01-03 18:31:22,119 PROGRESS - Creating VMware snapshots for all virtual machines that are being backed up.

2012-01-03 18:32:01,299 WARN - VMware Task "CreateSnapshot_Task" for entity "USSFDDT13" failed with the following error: Operation timed out.

2012-01-03 18:32:01,303 ERROR - VM "USSFDDT13" will not be backed up since VMware snapshot create operation failed.

2012-01-03 18:33:11,483 WARN - VMware Task "CreateSnapshot_Task" for entity "USCHIDT37" failed with the following error: Operation timed out.

2012-01-03 18:33:11,491 ERROR - VM "USCHIDT37" will not be backed up since VMware snapshot create operation failed.

2012-01-03 18:34:01,476 WARN - VMware Task "CreateSnapshot_Task" for entity "USSFDDT14" failed with the following error: An error occurred while communicating with the remote host.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

keitha

Hi Peter,

This is a pretty common issue with the VMware snapshot process. If the VM or the Host is too busy or does not respond in a given time frame the SnapShot creation or delation process can fail.

Some options for you;

1. Disable the VMware snapshot as part of the VSC backup job. The backups are very nearly as good and no VMware snapshots are created at all

2. Limit the number of concurrent VMware snaps VSC attempts. This can be done in the override file. The default is 6, you could try setting it to 3. https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2011335

3. Run the Clean VMware snaps tool at the end of each night to insure the SMVI created snaps are removed. Details here http://netapptips.com/2010/02/05/cleaning-up-vmware-snapshots/

Let us know how that works out...

Keith

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

keitha

Hi Peter,

This is a pretty common issue with the VMware snapshot process. If the VM or the Host is too busy or does not respond in a given time frame the SnapShot creation or delation process can fail.

Some options for you;

1. Disable the VMware snapshot as part of the VSC backup job. The backups are very nearly as good and no VMware snapshots are created at all

2. Limit the number of concurrent VMware snaps VSC attempts. This can be done in the override file. The default is 6, you could try setting it to 3. https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2011335

3. Run the Clean VMware snaps tool at the end of each night to insure the SMVI created snaps are removed. Details here http://netapptips.com/2010/02/05/cleaning-up-vmware-snapshots/

Let us know how that works out...

Keith

peter1965

Update –

As mentioned in my initial post I separated the jobs. Since it was two datastores it is now two different jobs with the second job to start 30 mins after the first one to provide some process breathing room.

Next I went with option 3 and ran the cleanup script to remove all the snapshots on the machine. This worked very well and I will have to incorporate it on an automated basis.

VSC ran last night and no errors were reported. I will monitor this for a few days to see if I am in the clear.

I will come back and provide an update.

Thanks for your reply!

keitha

Thanks for the followup Peter.

The easiest way to automate that tool is with a post backup script in the last VSC job of the night. You could of course also just schedule a windows task to do it. It really is a useful tool...

Keith

Public