Subscribe

Re: When to use SME and SMSQL in Vmware environment

Hi Gorazd,

I think this is a little off topic, but to answer your questions:

How you distribute your databases and logs onto LUNs is really up to you, as long as they are ALL on LUNs. Ofcourse it all depends on business requirements, licenses, level of complexity, etc. There is great and elleborate documentation about this subject on NOW, along with a lot of (sometimes conflicting) Best Practices. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I suggest you try the search module on NOW. These documents should give you a really good idea on how to set things up properly.

At the very minimum, you should have:

- LUN 1 for all the systemdb's and system transactionlogs

- LUN 2 for all your user db's and transaction logs

- LUN 3 for SnapInfo data.

Tempdb is recreated at each reboot, that's true, but if you don't change the location of the tempdb, it will be created on a local drive every time.

Regards, Bjorn

Bjorn, thank you for the answer. I read the documents you mentioned and as you said they add to confusion ..

OK, I agree there should be 3 luns. But let me be mores specific: lets`s say I move move model on 2 luns (db and logs separately); msdb and tempdb the same story; when I try to move master the wizard window says: "you cannot migrate all the files to the specified lun, as it`s already shared by multiple databases.... you must use both of the shared luns" - which implies I should move db and logs separately, I presume. But when I do that another window says: "select all of the database files in the master database for migration to a lun", which is no go.

And even worse when I select the default Northwind, when the wizards issues a warning:"Do not migrate to a lun which contains system database..."

Regarding to that I should have separate pair of luns for system and separate pair of luns for production databases + snapinfo lun; which makes 5 luns. I haven`t found the answer to that anywhere and I`ve been searching for 3 days already. Should I just transfer the production db an leave the system db alone - as I saw on one demo video?

thank you all; Gorazd

something tells me MS SQL or Oracle won't like it being restored when the backup was made using just VSS.

I am not 100% sure about Oracle on Windows, but MS SQL will be fine - VSS process puts in fact SQL in a hot-backup mode. As already mentioned (here, or in a similar thread), VSS-based backup won't do log truncating, so you really should either use simple recovery mode (whenever the database performs a checkpoint, space in the log is reclaimed), or manually truncate the log.

Regards,
Radek

Hi,

First of all: dumb the Northwind database ASAP! :-) It's a demo database that serves no purpose other then that and forms a huge security issue to your SQL server(s).

having said that, as Northwind is a demo database, it's by definition a user database and cannot be placed on the same LUN as system dabatases. That's what the wizard was telling you.

Not sure about the other messages you get, but I do know SMSQL definitely doesn't need your db-files and translog-files to be on separate LUNs. Are you sure you selected all the files, associated with master? Don't forget about full text indexes and such.

Hi

The SMVI BPG has a section on data consistency maybe that will help.

http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3737.html

We haven't heard about frozen snapshots in 2.0.The miscsllaneous section talks about the best practices for VMware snapshots.

REgards

Amrita

Hi Amrita,

We use SMVI 1.2R1 and occasionally get stuck Snapshots. I would like to upgrade to SMVI 2.0 as it seems to be better in this respect, but as we use NFS I understand that this would actually mean we would be unable to restore without a FlexClone license. Is this ture? What would you advise we do?

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Flexclone is required in 2.0 for:

1)single File restore (i.e. the granularity of restoring just a single guest file)

2)NFS datastore mounts (flexclone is optional for VMFS mounts as SMVI uses LUNClone if Flexclone is not available in this case)

3)out-of place NFS VMDK restores (when you're restoring an NFS VMDK to an alternate datastore)

It is not required for other operations.

Regards

Amrita

Hi,

Thank you for that. Just to confirm, if I upgrade to SMVI 2.0 I will still be able to restore a single VM (vmdk and/or vmx) to the original datastore only. That is core functionality so I would expect this to be the case.

I see that to restore to a different datastore requires FlexClone, how about restore to the same datastore but a different path. I assume I wouldn't need a license for that as there would be no additional mounting or anything involved.

My final question Does the SMVI 2.0 GUI now have the compression option? I use snapmirror.conf at the moment to snapmirror after the SMVI 1.2R1 backups. To carry on using compression must I keep doing this and are there any downsides to not using SMVI to start the SnapMirror ???

Thanks again,

Rich.

Hi Rich

if I upgrade to SMVI 2.0 I will still be able to restore a single VM (vmdk and/or vmx) to the original datastore only. That is core functionality so I would expect this to be the case

Yes that is correct

I see that to restore to a different datastore requires FlexClone, how about restore to the same datastore but a different path. I assume I wouldn't need a license for that as there would be no additional mounting or anything involved.

USing the GUI you can only restore to the same datastore there is no option to specify a different path.

SMVI 2.0 GUI now have the compression option?

The GUI doesn't have the compression option. If you set the policy to update snapmirror using SMVI the policy takes care of replication automatically for each backup. Apart from that I am not sure if there are any downsides.

Regards

Amrita