VMware Solutions Discussions

does SMVI work with vcenter/vmware 4.1?

findlay

Hi

Running vmware 4.0 and SMVI 2.0

If I perform an in place upgrade to vmware/vcenter 4.1, will SMVI continue to work?

thanks

Bob

2 REPLIES 2

goldsweeper

I'm using the IBM N series VSC on vCenter 4.1 with ESX 4.1 hosts and I just did a single file restore a week ago. It took me couple hours because I did run into few issues

You might run into these issues:

If your vCenter is running on Windows 2008 R2, you will have to change the sfr file to map to the FQDNS or IP4 address

If you have a LUN has ID 0 because the flex clone will clone the new VMFS to ID0

If your VM has more than 1 partition then you will have to use disk administrator to add a drive letter to other partitions

If your VM doesn’t show up in the single file restore drop down then you will have to mount the entire VMFS and attach the vmdk file to a VM and recover it that way.

jacint_juhasz

hi,

yes, it will.

two comments:

- before upgrade, you should backup SMVI repository, maybe you'll need to restore it manually (it contains the data what was backed up and when).

- VSC (Virtual Storage Console) is the integration point between NetApp and vSphere, it contains SMVI also, you can handle the whole thing within

your vCenter.

this is from SMVI/VSC install doc about the repository folder:

"When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to installing Virtual Storage Console, you have to save the backup metadata prior to migrating the backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server \repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\repository folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder."

kthxbye

--

yyaazz

http://tt.yyaazz.hu

Public