VMware Solutions Discussions

iSCSI MPIO (Data ONTAP DSM) in virtual machine

SCHVERIGS

We have a Windows 2012 virtual machine (VSphere 5.1) that has the software iSCSI initiator installed and we are presenting an iSCSI LUN directly to it. We have assigned the virtual machine two NICs and are planning on using NetApp DSM for MPIO. Is this supported? I am not finding a clear answer.

5 REPLIES 5

SCHVERIGS

Anyone?

radek_kubka

Hi,

I can't find a formal proof, but when using in-guest initiator the VM should be treated pretty much as a physical host, so NetApp DSM will work.

Regards,

Radek

radek_kubka

OK, this note from IMT kind of proves the point:

"With ESX 3.x/4.x and later, any approved software iSCSI initiator in a supported virtual machine(VM)/Guest OS is supported. Please refer to the respective Operating System support statements on IMT for approved Software Initiators"

SCHVERIGS

I did find the following reference in the vSphere Storage ESXi 5.1 guide under the "ESXi iSCSI SAN Restrictions" (page 78). It says "You cannot use virtual-machine multipathing software to perform I/O load balancing to a single physical LUN.". This statement seems to clearly imply that DSM is not supported in a virtual machine but there still seems to be a lot of confusion about it.

radek_kubka

DSM is not supported when ESX iSCSI stack & RDMs are used - in-guest initiator bypasses completely ESX layer.

Public