VMware Solutions Discussions

is there a chance to get an OVF or OVA for vSphere ?

IMHOTEPSON

our vmWare Guys do not want to accept the actual format, they want to have an Appliance format.

Is it possible to create such an Appliance "on the fly" without having access to an ESX Host ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shatfield

OVFTool can create an OVA/OVF from an existing virtual machine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SomBane

You can export VMs as OVF if you use VMware Workstation, if that's a possibility.  If you're looking to do this with free tools, you can build the VM in VirtualBox and then export to OVA.  However, I believe you'll then need to use VMware's Open Virtualization Format Tool to convert it to an OVF that's readable in vSphere.

That said, I'm not sure if I'm answering your question since it's unclear what type of product you're trying to turn into an appliance.  If you have further details to share, it might get a more specific answer...

shatfield

OVFTool can create an OVA/OVF from an existing virtual machine.

IMHOTEPSON

thanks all, i have done this from my iMAC with vmware fusion and the ovftool and it is working fine. Still not understand why netapp is not offering this type of Appliance ;(

shatfield

I've often wondered that myself.  I suppose back in the day, the advanced config settings may not have survived the OVF import process.  Doesn't seem to be an issue these days.

Public