Getting Started With Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit.pptx

by Extraordinary Contributor on ‎2010-06-04 06:41 AM

Courtesy of Jason Cole, this slide deck provides a great intro to installing and using the Toolkit.  Updated for Toolkit 1.5.

Comments

I'm working through the document to start custom reporting and it's been a great help.  I'm a PS noob so it's kinda difficult.

On slide 22, there is a partial command that I can't seem to get straight...

foreach (4filer in Get-Content C:\filers.txt) {Connect-NaController -Name $filer | .....}

Would you mind showing the full command?  I can't seem to make the transition to this list view.

In filer.txt, should they be listed out with out any $? 

Thanks

Extraordinary Contributor

Hello, FrostByte.  Assume that filers.txt contains only filer names or addresses:

PS C:\> Get-Content .\filers.txt

Then assuming you are using RPC or have saved these filers' credentials in the Toolkit's creds cache, you can use the example like this:

PS C:\> foreach ($filer in Get-Content filers.txt) { $c = Connect-NaController -Name $filer; Write-Host "Controller: $filer"; Get-NaVol | Format-Table }

Thanks for the quick reply. It's working now. The PDF doesn't include the "$c =" portion found below. I never would have found it.

Now, to figure out what management wants in the reports and how to explain reservations, reserves, ASIS, and flex-clones, in pie charts... LOL

Extraordinary Contributor
how to explain reservations, reserves, ASIS, and flex-clones, in pie charts

The next Toolkit release, due sometime over the summer, adds a cmdlet to encapsulate NetApp's corporate standard storage efficiency calculations.  And we'll also post a script example of how those metrics might be presented in graphs.  Thought you might like to know...

Warning!

This NetApp Community is public and open website that is indexed by search engines such as Google. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary. All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly viewable and available. This includes the rich text editor which is not encrypted for https.

In accordance to our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Files and content that do not abide by the Community Terms of Use or Code of Conduct will be removed. Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.