AFF

Howto promote deprioritized volume

thomas382

Hello;

I have an AFF200 and i have the poroblem that on several Volumes the deduplication didn't run

cluster1::> volume efficiency show
Vserver Volume State Status Progress Policy
---------- ---------------- --------- ----------- ------------------ ----------
svm_cifs vol1_department Enabled Idle Idle for 1119:39:08 default
svm_cifs vol2_home Enabled Idle Idle for 989:37:08 auto
svm_cifs vol3_office Enabled Idle Idle for 140:46:30 auto
svm_cifs vol4_profile Enabled Idle Idle for 5205:55:56 auto
svm_nfs Cluster1_NFS2 Enabled Idle Idle for 3020:04:51 auto

If i try to change the policy i get the following error message:

Cannot perform efficiency operations on deprioritized volume.
To be able to perform efficiency operations, run "volume efficiency promote" command first.

If i try to run the command i get this error message:

cluster1::> volume efficiency promote

Error: "promote" is not a recognized command

can you please help me with this error?

Thanks, Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Hi,

I reckon this could be a bug,  if you need to know more about this bug or unsure on the procedure,  then please feel free to speak with NetApp support.

SnapMirror software cannot perform efficiency operations on a deprioritized volume
https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1134281

INFO: On AFF systems, if a volume is not configured for the expected efficiency, or if stale writes accumulate, the deduplication schedule is disabled. When the deduplication schedule is disabled, the volume is deprioritized. A deprioritized volume prevents efficiency operations.

Workaround:
Use the following command to attempt recovering a locked destination Vserver:
vserver config override -command "volume efficiency promote -vserver <vserver> -volume <volume>"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

Hi,

I reckon this could be a bug,  if you need to know more about this bug or unsure on the procedure,  then please feel free to speak with NetApp support.

SnapMirror software cannot perform efficiency operations on a deprioritized volume
https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1134281

INFO: On AFF systems, if a volume is not configured for the expected efficiency, or if stale writes accumulate, the deduplication schedule is disabled. When the deduplication schedule is disabled, the volume is deprioritized. A deprioritized volume prevents efficiency operations.

Workaround:
Use the following command to attempt recovering a locked destination Vserver:
vserver config override -command "volume efficiency promote -vserver <vserver> -volume <volume>"

TMACMD

I have used this command before. From the DOCs:

Availability: This command is available to cluster and Vserver administrators at the advanced privilege level.

Run "set advanced" and then you should have access to the "vol eff promote" commands

thomas382

Thanks a lot, i will try today, sorry for my late reply i didn't get an email notification.

Gretings, Thomas

thomas382

Thanks, worked perfectly!

greetijngs, Thomas

Public