AFF, NVMe, and EF-Series Discussions

Root-data-data spare partitions

LORENZO_CONTI

Hello,

could someone please help clarify if that documentation applies to root-data-data partitioning?
Do I have to leave 2 different ssd with 2 spare partitions (root+data) for the HA pair?

Here's what i have on one of our AFF 

cluster::> storage aggregate show-spare-disks

Original Owner: cluster-01
 Pool0
  Root-Data1-Data2 Partitioned Spares
                                                              Local    Local
                                                               Data     Root Physical
 Disk             Type   Class          RPM Checksum         Usable   Usable     Size Status
 ---------------- ------ ----------- ------ -------------- -------- -------- -------- --------
 1.0.7            SSD    solid-state      - block                0B  37.42GB   3.49TB zeroed
 1.0.19           SSD    solid-state      - block            1.73TB       0B   3.49TB zeroed

Original Owner: cluster-02
 Pool0
  Root-Data1-Data2 Partitioned Spares
                                                              Local    Local
                                                               Data     Root Physical
 Disk             Type   Class          RPM Checksum         Usable   Usable     Size Status
 ---------------- ------ ----------- ------ -------------- -------- -------- -------- --------
 1.0.19           SSD    solid-state      - block            1.73TB  37.42GB   3.49TB zeroed
3 entries were displayed.

Thank you 

Lorenzo 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMAC_CTG

If all your drives are RD2 (Root-Data-Data) partitioned, then they all show as "shared".

Technically speaking one drive on either controller can be used as a spare on both. Why?

If Any drive fails, it fails on both nodes. This causes a reconstruction on both nodes since the drive is partitioned between both. If there is a WHOLE (unpartitioned) drive, it is automatically partitioned to match what is there and reconstruction occurs on all three partitions (Root/Data/Data).

If you have a mix of RD2 and whole SSDs (unpartitioned), then you should leave at least one unpartitioned drive per controller.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TMAC_CTG

If all your drives are RD2 (Root-Data-Data) partitioned, then they all show as "shared".

Technically speaking one drive on either controller can be used as a spare on both. Why?

If Any drive fails, it fails on both nodes. This causes a reconstruction on both nodes since the drive is partitioned between both. If there is a WHOLE (unpartitioned) drive, it is automatically partitioned to match what is there and reconstruction occurs on all three partitions (Root/Data/Data).

If you have a mix of RD2 and whole SSDs (unpartitioned), then you should leave at least one unpartitioned drive per controller.

View solution in original post

LORENZO_CONTI

Sorry, 

maybe I have not explained very well...

In my example, do is better to align spare partitions in order to have all spares on 1.0.19? (of course better to have 2 full expensive spare drives) 🙂

It's now clear that the mentioned doc applies to root-data and not to root-data-data partitioning.

Thanks a lot

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public