AFF, NVMe, and EF-Series Discussions

Space-Allocation performance sacrifice

aarond

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of migrating between CSV's in our Hyper-V 2016 Cluster, and it's getting a pain to run space-reclamation, so I looked up to see options to automate it, and it turns out, there's built in feature called space-allocation that will do it on the fly.  Now my understanding is that for ease of implementation and non-disruptive behavior, it'll make sense to create new CSV's set with the option and then migrate my VM's to the new CSV.  No problem with that.  But I see that enabling the feature will cause a performance hit.  I have five approximately 2TB each CSV's stored on my AFF-A200.  Would there be noticeable performance decrease? Does anyone have any real world comparisons of this?  What would be the performance counters to check?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

GidonMarcus

Hi

What is your refernce for any performance sacrifice?

https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4597.pdf

"Note that there is no performance penalty when using thin provisioning with ONTAP systems; data is written to available space so that write performance and read performance are maximized"

Gidi
Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public