AFF

AFF Storage cut feels ridiculous

Zadok

Hi
I just got a new AFF C-Series

About to replicate from a FAS2750

I have 12 x 15.3TB disks.

However, the aggregate I was able to create from this amounted to less than 70TB.

I need this to make sense. Effective storage should get to some 100TB though, right?

4 REPLIES 4

SpindleNinja

I just put the config in our fusion tool to verify, but I see  118TiB useable (59TiB per node) with 12x15.3 - 

How did you configure your aggrs? 

SpindleNinja_0-1727708746269.png

NetApp_RZ

I am not sure if you are comparing this to E-Series or not which I've worked on for over 20 years that would allow you to access around 150TB of disk space (RAW) into a single Disk pool to carve up into luns as you see fit.

With a two-node FAS AFF, the 12 disks you have are being partitioned automatically into three separate partitions (root-data-data) via Advanced Disk Partitioning as seen below:

NetApp_RZ_0-1727791285734.png

Thus limiting the aggregate size per node to around 67.5TB assuming RAID DP plus one spare.

I am new to FAS myself but in the training they mentioned that the FAS nodes could be configured for Active / Passive, thus changing the ADP partitioning to root-data, allowing for a full-size single data partition to achieve a larger aggregate.

NetApp_RZ

Active-passive example I seen in training allowing root-data partitioning:

NetApp_RZ_0-1727806187475.png

Notes:

This diagram shows how a chassis that contains 12 drives is partitioned in ONTAP 8.3

software.

If one node is installed, it owns all the containers.

If two controllers are installed, each node owns half the drives.

All 12 drives are partitioned.

cedric_renauld

Hello,

In NetApp world, you create Aggregat, with the dsik, like you can see in below article, and after you can create Volumes on the aggregat.

And this volumes can be created with thin provisionning and exceed the aggregat physical limitation, to get your 100TiB and more by the efficiency mechanism, deduplication, compaction and compression

Public