Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Aggregate Almost Overcommitted

ALVSERVERSUPPORTTEAM

We are getting this message in Operations Manager for one of our lone aggregates. It's not part of resource pool. Thresholds are set to defaults for the aggregate and for the global settings (so Aggregate Nearly Overcommited Threshold is 95%). Snapshots are currently disabled. Double-Parity is checked. I'm not sure if Thin Provisioning is used or not. The condition says:

"Committed 7.32 TB (99.60%) out of 7.35 TB available; Using 5.84 TB (79.44%) out of 7.35 TB available"

The "Space Breakout" is thus:

Aggregate Size7.35 TB
Snapshot Reserve Size837 GB
Used Space5.84 TB
Available Space1.51 TB
Available Snapshot Reserve526 GB
Used Snapshot Space311 GB
Unused Guaranteed Space2.41 TB

We added two additional disks to the aggregate yesterday to bring the used capacity percentage down from 84% to 79.44%. I guess it didn't help the Committed percentage though, which must be unrelated.

So what exactly does 7.32TB commited mean? How is that calculated? How can we reduce that value to get it back under 95%? Let me know if there are some command-line commands that can be more enlightening than the GUI. How can we tell if thin-provisioning is in use?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (please help move along if necessary), first time poster.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shailaja

Hi,

>> I found dfm. It was installed on the windows box containing Operations Manager.

"dfm" is the main command in Operations Manager.

>> Auto-grow is turned on for most of the volumes. Looks like several have grown to their limit (why don't they show this in the GUI?).

This report is available in Operations Manager UI.

Its at Member Details -> File Systems and select the report "Volume Autosize Details" report from the drop-down.

Overcommitment of an aggregate is calculated to give an idea of amount of thin provisioning in aggregates.

So, it is the sum of total space of all volumes in the aggregate irrespective of whether the guarantee of the volume

is "volume", "none" or "file".

When you set autogrow on a volume, the maximum size set for the volume is considered for overcommitment calculations.

So, for autogrowing volumes, maximum (volume_size, maximum_size_of_volume) is taken.

Thanks,

Shailaja

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

tyrone_owen_1

Out of interest:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2013810

Question still stands though, does Ops Mgr provide a report on committed space which excludes autosize calculations?

adaikkap

Not untill bug397557 is fixed.

Regards

adai

adaikkap
Is there an Ops Mgr report that can show me how committed the aggregate would be if the SnapMirror volumes guarantees were set to 'volume'? 

Yes, pls look at this report.

aggregates-committed-capacity-report.

....another thought, I'd like to alert via Ops Mgr when the aggregate is committed at 90% (excluding volume autosize calcs). How can I achieve this (without switching autosize off!)?

Pls add your case to the bug397557

tyrone_owen_1

Thanks Adai, how do i add my case to the bug?

Public