Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can you transfer Performance Advisor files between DFM servers?

reide

SCENARIO:

Customer has two DFM servers (DFM-A and DFM-B) both monitoring the same storage controllers. Only DFM-A is collecting Performance Advisor data.  Customer wants to decommission DFM-A but they want to keep all their Performance Advisor data and move it to DFM-B.  The problem is, the storage controller's host ID # is different on each DFM server.

QUESTION:

Can the Performance Advisor flat-files somehow be moved to DFM-B and made to match-up with the correct DFM host ID#?   For example, using the naming convention for perf files:

perf_<CounterGroup>_<hostID>_<generation>

Could I just copy the perf files to DFM-B and modify the hostID portion of the filename to correspond to the appropriate controller and stop/start the DFM services?  I know what the controllers old hostID was on DFM-A and I know what the same controller's hostID is on DFM-B so I can match the correct perf data files to the correct controller.

The only other way I know of to accomplish this would be to backup the DFM database on DFM-A and restore it to DFM-B.  We really want to avoid that if at all possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kryan

Hi Reid,

moving perf data between DFM servers is only possible if the accompanying database is brought along with them, or as you stated a backup/restore to the new server.

Kevin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kryan

Hi Reid,

moving perf data between DFM servers is only possible if the accompanying database is brought along with them, or as you stated a backup/restore to the new server.

Kevin

reide

Thank you for the quick reply.  Good to know.

marz

Long answer to Kevin's short answer:  The perfdata files have hostID and generation values in the name, and these values are directly tied to multiple tables in the db itself. 

One could:

(1) Disable all hostLogin bits on DFM-A and retain this server for historical data

(2) Enable (if not already completed) Performance Advisor on DFM-B and begin data accumulation.

(3) Retain DFM-A online for historical purposes until DFM-B has built up the requisite history in Performance Advisor data defined by the customer's business rules, then decommission DFM-A.

Otherwise, a DFM-A backup and restore to DFM-B is the only method to retain the DFM-A Performance Advisor data, however this will not retain any data on DFM-B (in effect a move of the instance from DFM-A to DFM-B).

reide

marzec,

Thanks.  I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I have one more question (inquiring minds want to know):

Is it just the filename of the perfdata files that tie it back to the tables in the DFM database?   Let's say Perf Advisor was turned-on on DFM-B just for the purpose of creating the first generation of perfdata files and the assocaited entries in the DFM database.  I then shut-down services on DFM-B and delete all the perfdata files.  I then copy-over the perfdata files from DFM-A and I modify the filenames to the correct host ID and generation ID used by DFM-B.  I then re-start DFM-B. The perfdata filenames match what DFM-B is expecting and correspond to the entries in DFM-B's database. 

Thoughts?

marz

The filename help us identify which file is for which host and Counter Group.  There are objectID's embedded within the perfdata file itself that are referenced in the db tables.  While you may be able to rename the perfdata files to match the db reference to the file itself, the content will not have the correct objectIDs.

reide

Ok. I just wanted to exhaust all avenues of questions so I can fully explain it to the customer.  Thank you for the information!

Reid

adaikkap

Hi Reid,

You are basically trying out the untested waters, I haven't at least personally done this. Not sure if others like kevin and alex have done it.

Regards

adai

Public