Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Quota notification email

igor

Is it possible for a filer to send out an e-mail directly to the user, when they reach soft/hard quota limit? A script, perhaps?

Examples and guides would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Igor

62 REPLIES 62

oweinmann

Hi,

I got it working. I set the default smtp domain and removed the domain name from the user email setting.

It's a bit disappoiting that ops manager is not capable of retrieving the users email address from AD.

igor

Unfortunatelly, it can not do that. But you can export email addresses from AD and then import then into DFM by using dfm mailmap import commmand.

oweinmann

Should be easy to write a script, but still I can't understand why they havent implemented this yet. Also it would be nice if quota notifications would be send to users based on snmp traps.

oweinmann

Ok we now have a powershell script to import the user email addresses, but what about the notification on qtrees? I was expecting to have an additional field in the mailmap export where the qtree is specified. But there is only USER. We have over 200 qtrees with quotas and we have to configure them all in the webgui?

igor

Mailmap is used to create an e-mail addressbook on DFM, linking specified (domain) users with their corresponding e-mails. It is configured independently of the quota settings that you have set up on your NetApp box.

So then, if user quota alerts are enabled on Ops Manager, whenever any user exceeds his/her, volume/qtree, hard/soft quota on the storage system - a message will be sent out by Ops Manager to the proper e-mail address as soon as Ops Manager becomes aware of it (monitoring interval).

igor

Sending out notification based on SNMP traps would be both easier & faster, yes. Unfortunatelly, I lack knowledge in that department. Most of our clients have slowly growing data which means their users will be notified long before they reach their hard quota, so it's been an adequate solution thus far.

oweinmann

Looks like I have to use my modified trapnotify script from the toolchest again. At least this is working with Traps, User and Qtree Quota.

oweinmann

Hi,

has anoyone tested dfm 5.0 yet? Does it support quota notifications based on snmp?

Regards,

Oliver

oweinmann

Another question is can qtree quota notifications be configured via command line like user quota?

adaikkap

Yes.

Regards

adai

a_wicklein

Hello,

as I see it, the OnCommand Core sends a mail only once, when the threshold was exceeded and then no more.  Is there a way to set an option in DFM that the mail is sent repeatedly until the user has adjusted his networkdrive?

Thanks

Alex

adaikkap

Hi Alex,

OCUM/DFM allows to configure repeat notification for alarm, which sends repeated emails, until the condition is neutralized.

Pls configure repeat notifications to your alarms... by using the advanced tab.

Regards

adai

adaikkap

Yes OnCommand 5.0 supports quota notification based on snmp.

Regards

adai

oweinmann

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer. Is there a document that describes how this works? I have read through the 5.0 admin and config pdf but couldn't find any information regarding snmp based quota notifications. Also there is not much documented about how to configure qtree quota notifications.

oweinmann

Please don't leave me hanging. If this is documented somewhere let me know.

oweinmann

Any news on this? SNMP traps now supported in DFM?

kryan

OnCommand UM can send SNMP traps to traphosts via triggered alarms.  It can also receive traps from monitored hosts and process them.  If the trap has a builtin eventtype (dfm evenettype list) UM will log a new event that can then be used for triggering alarms.

oweinmann

Hi,

thanks for the quick repsonse. I knew it can handle traps but I wonder why netapp doesn't implement the quota traps as a default instead of the intervals.

Currently we still use a heavily modified trapnotify script and that works like a charm. I would love to see qutoas in dfm based on traps.

connoisseur

Question about vFiler considerations in this issue!

We use vFilers to seperate NAS servers between different customers, and therefore each and every customer have different domain.

Now  I have activated quota for a customer i get reply on that the email can´t be verified.. "email domain/user can´t be verified"

This customer has like 5000 users so it will be a massive work to modify each and every user like the steps above in this tread. (Still if scriptet we need someone to mach the username to the correct email)

Also, is it not possible to have the email notification only show the share name?

Must it show complete volume/qtree path?

Thanks

oweinmann

Hi,

picking up this old thread again. Anyone successfully implemented notifications for qtree quotas for CDOT 8.3.x and OnCommand Unified Manager 6.2? I see that only user and group quotas can be configured. For qtrees I would have to configure an alarm for each qtree, which is not really user / admin friendly. I wonder why they didn't implement qtree quotas??! As far as I can see there is also no longer a command shell in OnCommand Unified Manager 6.2. Is there any way to remotely control OCUM 6.2 via api? I have over 400 qtrees and all with a different email adress for quota notification...

SRE

We are facing a similar issue where a 7-Mode qtree quota dfm alert implementation with an external powershell script (which change the contents/language of the email based on the qtree) to cdot and ocum 7.1rc1 if failing for the following main reasons so far:

- The alert does not define the environment variables which where available in dfm 5.x, so we can't adjust the alert email contents.

- The powershell scripts will not work on the OCUM 7l.1RC1 Appliance and have to be rewritten in perl.

We are looking into alternate ways of implementing this functionality, have you had any chance to achieve your goals on cdot for qtree based quotas?

As alternative we are thinking to recommend the customer to switch to NTP Software QFS or Northern Solutions but we don't know the products and are wondering if the licensing costs for 10tb and less is even a valid case for them...

If you have any experiences please share,

Cheers Stefan

Public