Ask The Experts

Change host of ontap select node

mbpruy

We deployed a 2-node ontap select cluster via ontap deploy in a vcenter for testing. Now our vmware colleagues removed a host from the vcenter. Therefore they shutdown all VMs of this host and migrated them to a different host in the vcenter. On the removed host also run one node of our ontap select cluster. After this action the node don't come up properly. Node 2 has currently taken over node 1 and don't recognize when node 1 comes up. Ontap deploy still shows the removed host as okay.

Vcenter / Host version: 6.7

ontap select: 9.6 (evalution license)

ontap deploy: 2.12.1

Is an ontap select hard bond to the host or is it possible to migrate to a different host? Despite the current situation, is it possible to migrate an ontap select node to a different host, e. g. tech refresh of esx-hosts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mbpruy

Sorry for the late answer. It was a Layer 8 problem. You have to select the cluster and click at the gear at top right, than choose "Cluster Refresh". There you can change the host.

I didn't know that the little gear at the cluster list on the left offer different options than other and only pressed "refresh" at top of the cluster list. (I attached a screenshot)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ontapforrum

Hi,

After deployment, the ONTAP Select nodes can be migrated between hosts. This could result in nonoptimal and unsupported configurations for which two or more ONTAP Select nodes from the same cluster share the same underlying host. NetApp recommends the manual creation of VM anti-affinity rules so that VMware automatically maintains physical separation between the nodes of the same cluster, not just the nodes from the same HA pair.

Reading from this tr:
https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4517.pdf

This thead also discusses the same concern:[Looks like 'move' is a real issue. Thread suggests to raise a ticket]
https://community.netapp.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Move-ONTAP-Select-appliance-to-a-different-ESXi-host/td-p/151028/page/2

Thanks!

mbpruy

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. We already made sure, that the nodes don't run on the same host.

I will try to open a ticket and update this post, if i get any useful / new information.

Ontapforrum

Thanks for updating.

Good you raised ticket, do let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

mbpruy

Cluster status is now good again, was a problem in our vmware environment. The network for internal communication between the nodes had a problem, after fixing it, i was able to do a giveback.

But the ontap deploy appliance didn't noticed the changes. It still shows that one node runs on a removed host. We added the new host, but it didn't help. We are now working at this problem.

Ontapforrum

Thanks for the update. Will keep an eye.

mbpruy

Sorry for the late answer. It was a Layer 8 problem. You have to select the cluster and click at the gear at top right, than choose "Cluster Refresh". There you can change the host.

I didn't know that the little gear at the cluster list on the left offer different options than other and only pressed "refresh" at top of the cluster list. (I attached a screenshot)

Public