Ask The Experts

Data Migration Challenges

Ebo_Hagan

Hello Team,

Recently acquired a FAS8200 system running DOT 9.7.  There is FAS3320 running 8.2.5 7-mode. I have to migrate the data on the 7-mode system to the Clustered mode system. But just realized 7-mode transition tool (7MTT) does not support DOT 9.6 and above.  Is it advisable to downgrade the DOT 9.7 to 9.5 to enable the use of 7MTT or there is another tool to do the migration?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

I typically do this in this situation: 

Boot both controllers into the Boot Menu.   

Run opt 7 to "install new software"    

There will be a wizard,  step through and install the latest 9.5P image.  

Boot back into the boot menu.  

On controller 1 Run option 9 ->  9a -> 9b  wait for it to finish.  when finished park at the LOADERA> prompt (first control c) 

On controller 2 Run option 9 ->  9a -> 9b  wait for it to finish. 

Boot both controllers into ONTAP and run through the cluster setup wizard.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Is FAS8200 given to you as production data ? Or, are you going to wipe it to be used again for new data ?

Considering amount of data and ease of convenience, I will not mind downgrading the ONTAP to 9.5. Ontap 9.5 is also a stable release and it's a long term support one.  In order to make use of this very handy '7MTT' tool, I will suggest downgrade it to 9.5. Unless, you are told to use a certain feature which is only available in 9.7 or a bug which requires 9.7.

Otherwise, just go ahead and downgrade it to 9.5

https://mysupport.netapp.com/products/ontap9/9.5P10/index.html

End of full support for 9.5
31-Jan-2022

So you have enough time (2 years) to upgrade ontap to next version.

Thanks!

Ebo_Hagan

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.
The FAS8200 is a production system and is replacing the FAS3220 running the DOT 7-mode OS.
I'm now going to setup the FAS8200 but just found out that the 7MTT is not supported on the OS (DOT 8.7) the FAS8200 came loaded with.
What are the likely implications of the downgrading the system and can the downgrade be done before creating the cluster.

Thanks.

SpindleNinja

I typically do this in this situation: 

Boot both controllers into the Boot Menu.   

Run opt 7 to "install new software"    

There will be a wizard,  step through and install the latest 9.5P image.  

Boot back into the boot menu.  

On controller 1 Run option 9 ->  9a -> 9b  wait for it to finish.  when finished park at the LOADERA> prompt (first control c) 

On controller 2 Run option 9 ->  9a -> 9b  wait for it to finish. 

Boot both controllers into ONTAP and run through the cluster setup wizard.  

Ebo_Hagan

Thanks All for the recommendations.

However, what will be the impact on the License after the activity.

Should I configure the cluster in DOT 9.6 apply the license before reverting to 9.5 or go ahead and install the 9.5 then apply the license.

Thanks.

Ontapforrum

Hi,

No impact. It does not matter. Install 9.5 and apply license.

Thanks!

GidonMarcus

I'm not aware of issues with the downgrade (personally - I prefer a re-installation and not downgrade - as it's more "tested" and stable scenario).  just make sure you use the highest P version, or the one mention here to avoid critical bugs:

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000185

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

Andre_Clark

You can reload the FAS8200 system as 9.5Px (latest version) prior to creating the cluster. You would do Option 7 first and then after the system reboots, completely reformat all of the drives (Option 9a then 9b/9c if you're doing ADP or not) because you need to have the proper RAID labels on the disk.

Once you have done that the system will be like new load with 9.5Px and then you'll be able to use 7MTT

GidonMarcus

Hi

I think there's a few questions to ask, such - What type of data you have on it is the most important one - it could be the 7MTT was useless anyway...

There's a few scenarios discussed in the following TR, i think that's the right start in order to define the path.

https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4052.pdf

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Public