Ask The Experts

SnapMirror compatibility for Clusters that are cross-replicating

Ontapforrum

Hi All,

As part of the upgrade plan: Target Ontap = 9.5

ONTAP 9.1[Current] to 9.3 to 9.5 [step ugprade all in one go per cluster ]

We have multiplle cDOTs, but unlike traditional model where source & destination are clearly defined as separte controllers for source & DR, all cDOTs  here are cross replicate each other, in short they are both source, and DR for other filers (Prod/DR both).

Concern : As these cDOTs run various PROD/DR envionmnet, we will do upgrade of each cluster one at a time. Which means, one cDOT will be at 9.5 and rest at 9.1.

Info: 90% are DP

Checking SnapMirror comatability matrix for type-DP:
https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.pow-dap%2FGUID-0810D764-4CEA-4683-8280-032433B1886B.html

Results: 9.1 as source cannot have a destination of 9.5, period. And, b'cos of cross-replication, source will be at 9.5 and detinations will be at 9.1. Looks big NO NO.

Next thing I thought of is : Can version-flexible snapmirror rescue us ?

Good news I read: You can easily convert an existing DP-type relationship to XDP to take advantage of version-flexible SnapMirror.
https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.pow-dap%2FGUID-0810D764-4CEA-4683-8280-032433B1886B.html

It further reads : Although resync does not require a baseline transfer, it can be time-consuming. That makes me smile b'cos of no re-basing.

Can experts advise if this approach will work, and any other precautions to be considered for what would be an  staggered upgrade?

Thanks,
-Ash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

i've been converting people to version flexable for this very reason.   It'll be worth it in the end.    

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SpindleNinja

i've been converting people to version flexable for this very reason.   It'll be worth it in the end.    

Ontapforrum

Thanks, SpindleNinja . I appreciate it.

As there are no more suggestions to this thread (Though I would have love to hear more user experiences on this one) , I will mark this reply as resolved.

Public