Data Backup and Recovery

SMSQL 5.2 problems moving system DBs with configuration wizard

awells

Hello.  I am working with a VMware virtual machine Windows 2008 R2 server where MS SQL 2008 R2 server is installed.  SnapManaer for MS SQL 5.2 with SnapDrive 6.3.1R1.  When attempting to move the system databases (model, master, msdb) to another Windows volume (which is a VMDK - I have also tried a RDM VMDK with the same results) it fails the following error message occurs:

SQL-DMO API Error]: Source: Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)

Error Message: IDispatch error #21490

Description: RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access is denied.'

NetApp KB article ID 2016403 suggests a couple tasks to resolve but the issue persists.

The service accounts used by MS SQL 2008 R2 and SnapManager and local administrators of the Windows OS.

Have other folks encountered this issue?  If yes, what is the resolution?

Thank you,

-Adrian

9 REPLIES 9

bernd_wolters

Hi,

did you turn off UAC at your windows host?

Regards Bernd

awells

Yes - UAC is disabled.  The host was rebooted since then.  Good thought.  Thanks.

bernd_wolters

I got the same issue before...try to remember. It was definitly a permission issue.

unclespud

I had this issue when doing the same migration, it seems to be a registry writing issue and I solved it thus:

The confusing thing is I was able to migrate the SQL Reporting Services AND the SQL TempDB first time no problem, but it choked on the MSDB, MASTER and MODEL databases, which confused things as TEMPDB is a system database too so I could not see why it did some and not others.  The wonderful world of MS security I suppose.

Anyway per the KB article as above (NetApp KB article ID 2016403) I added the service account that I use to run the SQL Server service and the SQL Server Agent service to the local admins group on the server, ran up REGEDT32 on the server(2008R2) and gave that account full control at the HKEY/LocaMachine level … rebooted and tried again, and it all worked.  Just restarting the services didn't help.

After that you can remove the extra registry perms I suppose, it just needs them to write the changes it makes when it moves the DB’s …

Hope this helps someone !  Worked for me anyway after much irritation ...

Here is the text of the KB, just for reference.  Note that my fix didn't work until a full reboot by the way, not mentioned here.

KB:

Symptoms

When using SnapManager for Microsoft SQL Server (SMSQL) to migrate SQL system
databases (master, model, msdb) to NetApp LUNs, the configuration wizard fails
with the following error code:
Configuration operation failed.
Details: [SQL-DMO API Error]:
Source: Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQL State: 42000)
Error Message: IDispatch
error #21490
Description: RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access is
denied.'

Click here for a
snapshot of the error message.
There are no corresponding events in the event viewer to help determine the
cause.

Cause

• The SQL server was configured with the least privilege. The SQL Server
    (instance) service is configured to use a domain user account, instead of using
    the Local System account. Also, the domain user account is not a member of the
    local administrators group.

Solution

Perform the following steps to resolve the issue:
Cause 1:
  1. Add the SMSQL service account user to the local administrators group.
  2. Restart the SMSQL service.
Cause 2:
  1. Add the SQL Server
    (instance) service account user to the local administrators group.
  2. Restart the SQL Server (instance) service.
  3. Once the SQL system databases are migrated to NetApp LUNs, the SQL Server
    (instance) service account can be removed from the local administrators group. 
    Any scheduled job to backup these databases continues; however, a full
    regression testing is not performed and some integration features with other
    products might not function as expected.

awells

Pete,  Hello.  Thank you for the reply.  We resolved the issue in this environment by moving the MS SQL system databases to a VMware RDM (mapped to a NetApp LUN) within a Windows instead of a VMware VMDK virtual hard disk (although based on the documentation I understand both should work).  Perhaps your note reference KB would work.

ephillipsme

Hmmm?

Ernie

Sent from my iPhone

BrendonHiggins

Thanks for the help.  I have been getting the error

onfiguration operation failed.
Details: [SQL-DMO API Error]:
Source: Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQL State: 42000)
Error Message: IDispatch
error #21490
Description: RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access is
denied.'

on a Windows server 2012 box with SQL 2012 and it worked for me but only after a reboot.

Cheers

Bren

abhisek

Did you try using a domain account for SMSQL service  or change you SQL Service and agent to run with a domain acount? Keep me posted.

Regards,

Abhishek

unclespud

I’m running everything with two different domain accounts … one for the SMSQL and another one for the SQL services themselves …

Both are in the local admins group on the server …

Regards

Pete Mathews

Infrastructure Analyst

Cross Keys Homes

Shrewsbury Avenue

Peterborough

PE2 7BZ

Tel: 01733 396448

Mobile: 0775 885 8326

www.crosskeyshomes.co.uk <http://www.crosskeyshomes.co.uk/>

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Public